Citizenship for a 17 year old

renebo

Good day,

We will be applying for our citizenship in May 2022 and since we all know the hard work of gathering documents during the visa application process, I want to start as early as I can to complete all the forms.

So my eldest daughter turns 17 this Dec and I read that she will need her own application.  Does anyone know if this is paper based or online? and since she only has her current passport and a bank account as proof of address what else can be used as proof of ID? She will be enrolling into uni in Nov 2022 and we are praying that we have our citizenship at that time...grrrrr

Does anyone perhaps have a list of required documents as well?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

regards

Rene

I just found this on the homeaffairs website .... and at the time of my PR grant I was in the UK...does that mean I have to get a PCC from them then?

Penal clearance certificates
If you have spent a total of 12 months or more outside Australia since we granted you a permanent visa, you need to give us overseas police certificates from every country, including your home country, where you have spent a total of more than 90 days since you turned 18.

Ask the country's government or law enforcement authority for a certificate.

We might ask you to provide a penal clearance certificate in other circumstances.

I think you would need to , possibility there are companies that can assist with that like DocAssist in South Africa who did my SA Police clearance

• 2 months later...

Hi Rene,

I found it quite a simple process actually. I put my 16 year old son's application in, in NOvember, and heard back by December that it was accepted. He doesn't have to do a written test or go for the interview. There is a field I filled in, in both mine and his applications, requesting that we attend the same ceremony. 

My interview and test is on the 25th of this month, and then I assume after I've done that, we will hear when we have to attend our ceremony. 

I have a 14 year old daughter as well, but her application falls under mine. 

It was really a simple process for me - I did it all online. I had all the necessary documents from when I applied for our PR, having come here on a 489 visa. 

At this moment I am 'studying' for my test! haha! 

hi @MargotOrch

Thank you very much for sharing.  We are due to apply in May, but me being paranoid wants to make sure I know everything before hand.  

You got a real quick response that is awesome! hope we do too.  If you don't mind sharing where in Australia are you, hoping it's in Brisbane so I can also look forward to a speedy response.

So I can do my daughter's application online? this is great for some reason I thought it needed to be paper based

Can you remember what proof of ID did you submit for your son? I only have her passport, birth certificate and a bank card. and do we have to provide proof of address as well?

sorry for all the questions, I am just happy to speak to someone that has done this recently.

As for the rest of us we came in on PR and still have all the docs too, which is awesome.  But did you need to do a Police Clearance at all? we haven't left Australia since arriving in May 2018.

regards

René

Hi,

We are in WA.

I also had a copy of his Learner Driver card. For Proof of Address, I used his latest report from school. I also got a letter from the school to confirm registration - this letter had our home address on it. I also had a recent bank statement which has his / our address on it. It was just a statement that I downloaded from his online account page. 

For 'First Arrival in Australia' you'll have to have the passport she came into the country on. (I have kept all passports, luckily) I also managed to find the confirmation email for our first tourist visa that we came in on, before the 489.

I didn't have to do a police clearance again - I seem to remember that on one of the forms, I had to confirm that I gave permission for them to do a police check with the WA Police on my behalf. 

Do you have the unabridged birth certificates? I used those. 

You'll also have to scan in a passport photo, and have someone other than yourself write on the back 'THis is a true photograph of '*insert your daughter's name' and sign it - both the front and back must be scanned in.

For 'Present country of residence' I scanned in his current passport that has our current PR visa electronically attached. 

It really is simple - but lengthy and time consuming to scan all this in and then attach. 

Happy to help! 

I am now wondering if I should apply to keep my SA Citizenship or not. The kids, because they're under 18, keep theirs automatically. It just means that if we're ever stuck in SA for whatever reason, and I don't have SA citizenship, the Aus Embassy will help me out, but not them, becuase one has to enter SA on your SA passport (if you have one)

Happy to help ! 

ah thanks so much for all this information it really helps.

Yes I am planning to take a day's leave to do our application since we are a family of 5.

I do also have all our passports and unabridged birth certification and marriage certificate. I will print a copy of her bank statement as proof of address thanks for that forgot about it lol.

Funny thing about the passports, we are eligible for citizenship on 5 May 2022 and the kid's passports expire 8 May 2022......eeeekk

I have a folder with all scanned docs in so that's at least done.  Do we need to certify the docs?

We won't be keeping our SA citizenship, no family or anything there so ja....

You are the best thanks Margot!

17 hours ago, renebo said:

Funny thing about the passports, we are eligible for citizenship on 5 May 2022 and the kid's passports expire 8 May 2022......eeeekk

Be aware that if the passport is not valid at the time of application then that person may not be able to apply online and may need a paper application. 

@TeeTMI

Ah I knew I read somewhere about paper application, so must have looked up what to do when passport has expired.

Sorry for the silly question @TeeTMI, but on my immi account will they say please reapply? and would I then have to pay the fee again?

ok so I phoned Home Affairs and the say I need to to a paper application for my daughter.....urg

Documents don't need to be certified

Do not need to attach a police clearance only if we spent 12months in another country after being granted PR

Don't like the paper application as you cannot see a status of what is happening or anything 😭

Hi

Applying for my Citizenship in December 2022 and while it is still a while away, I am getting documents together so long. Heard the police clearance in SA are getting delayed due to them first running out of the paper they need to print them and this morning I heard there is a problem with the finger print scanner which they are now upgrading - so they will only start scanning fingers prints after 24th Jan 2022.

They will then work through the backlog which probably means a good month additional time now.

Wanted to check - for the citizenship application does one have to redo the Form 80 in the application? Doesn't seem so from the above.

Hey @FingersCrossed

I am not sure about the form 80 but I know you need the form 1195, no mention of form 80 in the citizenship application.

Do not need to attach a police clearance, only if we spent 12 months in another country after being granted PR or if they request it.

I also like being prepared lol

7 hours ago, renebo said:

@TeeTMI

Ah I knew I read somewhere about paper application, so must have looked up what to do when passport has expired.

Sorry for the silly question @TeeTMI, but on my immi account will they say please reapply? and would I then have to pay the fee again?

With regard to an updated passport you would need to update them when you get it - you don't need to start a new application.

Edited by TeeTMI

ah thanks TeeTMI

Sorry to ask another question, but what proof of photo ID can I provide for my 17 year old daughter?

thanks

It is hard to suggest not knowing the case as there are a combination of documents required to cover a number of criteria and I don't have oversight of the application.  But potentially her RSA passport?

Edited by TeeTMI

ah ok, that will expire 3 days after we submit her application and we haven't applied for new ones since we won't be keeping our citizenship (I know kids retain theirs irrespective of what the parents do).

I thought maybe a learner's licence could suffice then we can also apply online for her.

She has the following :

student ID card

Bank card

Medicare card

• 3 months later...

@TeeTMI

Hi Tee, hope you are well.

Just wanted to ask you a quick question on the citizenship application.

For the main applicant his occupation for PR was cook, he is now a butcher.  On the citizenship application they ask occupation, is that the current or the one you applied for getting PR?

Your assistance will be highly regarded.

thanks

Rene

On 5/5/2022 at 8:47 AM, renebo said:

@TeeTMI

Hi Tee, hope you are well.

Just wanted to ask you a quick question on the citizenship application.

For the main applicant his occupation for PR was cook, he is now a butcher.  On the citizenship application they ask occupation, is that the current or the one you applied for getting PR?

Your assistance will be highly regarded.

thanks

Rene

Hi Rene

I suspect that the request for the occupation is related to information gathering / statistics.  The department of Citizenship are looking for the current occupation of the person - so  the answer would be butcher.

All the best with the application.

Tee