Arriving in Sydney soon

PieterLouw

Hello.
We arrive 3 December in Sydney. My work is close to the CBD and we will be around there for a month.

Our goal is to get a rental and register the kids for school (public) before the schools close in December.

The area we are looking at is Sutherland Shire. We chose this as the area seems to have a nice balance between affordable, close to parks and beaches and less than an hour commute to my workplace.  

Are we a bit ambitious to get kids registered before the end of the year? Or will we be able to still register them in January before the new school year start?

• 3 weeks later...

Are you arriving on temporary or permanent visa?

When we moved from Sydney to Central Coast at the end of 2018, we were able to get the kids in quickly (but we are citizens) 

On 11/18/2021 at 2:46 AM, ChrisinBris said:

Are you arriving on temporary or permanent visa?

When we moved from Sydney to Central Coast at the end of 2018, we were able to get the kids in quickly (but we are citizens) 

Hi,

We have a permanent visa

• 1 year later...

If you manage to secure a rental before school work year ends (which will be around the 20th of December), reach out to the local public school and ask about the enrolment process. There will be a standard list of things to provide (proof of address being a big one) and in my experience they won't even talk to you until you have secured a rental in their catchment area. Private schools are different (no catchment) but may also have waiting lists.

The enrolment should be fairly quick if you have all the documents, so don't stress about it if you don't get it done this year. The staff generally start work a day or two before the school year starts, so you can get it done in January too.

Oh and my standard nudge for people about to leave SA: Did you get the letter to confirm your drivers license as valid? It is possible to convert here without it depending on where you go, but much easier if you have the letter, and it's just an email to get it.