Update on Travel Restrictions for Parents of Australian's

TeeTMI

Good news for some parents: 

As of the 1st November 2021 - for the purposes of the COVID-19 Travel Restrictions  - the Prime Minister has stated that they are 'looking at expanding the definition of Immediate Members of the Family' to include parents of Australians (Citizens or PR).
At the current time we are still awaiting further information on this which should also become available on the Home Affairs COVID-19 travel restrictions pages. 

It is possible that there may be variations between the States depending upon policy/vaccination levels?

Prime Ministers comments: "I also want to note that at the National Security Committee earlier this week, where we considered these matters on Tuesday, we also agreed that we would be looking at expanding the definition of ‘immediate family’ to include the parents of Australian residents and citizens, and I know that will be very welcome news to Australians right across the country who are hoping to be reunited with their family members, their parents who are overseas. Now, in New South Wales’ case, that means that those family members will be able to come into Sydney if they are vaccinated and not have to quarantine, under the arrangements that the Premier has announced today. So, that is a welcome step forward.

I want to stress that for the other states and territories, and I have advised the premiers and chief ministers to this end, that this is about Australian residents and citizens first. The Commonwealth Government has made no decision to allow other visa holders - skilled visa holders, student visa holders, international visitors travelling under an ETA or other international visa arrangement, visa, visiting visa arrangement - to come into Australia under these arrangements. They are decisions for the Commonwealth Government, as the Premier and I know, and, but where we’re in a position to make that decision down the track, then obviously in New South Wales they will be able to do so, if they’re vaccinated, without having to quarantine.
So, I think that should provide some sense of assurance to those in other states that all we’re talking about now is Australian citizens, residents and their immediate families, which we’ll be looking to extend to the parents of those Australian citizens and residents. So, that’s good news. We're making good progress. We're looking forward to hitting 70 per cent national double dose vaccinations and, as we’ve particularly gone over the 80 per cent mark as well for single dose vaccinations right around the country."

To update this:

The Dept. of Home Affairs have confirmed that 'for the purpose of assessing exemptions to Australia’s travel restrictions only' - as of the 1 November 2021, the definition of ‘immediate family member’ will include the parents of adult Australian citizens and permanent residents.

Before travelling proof of the relationship must be provided in order to obtain an Exemption to travel.
  • Like 1