How to close an ABSA account from Aus?

forrie

Have anyone closed an ABSA account before from Australia?

This is my rant about the topic: We had multiple accounts with ABSA and managed to close them all except one. I have given up after almost 6 years of trying. This was very difficult. I started by calling the branch manager often and explaining my situation. Their default answer is that you need to come to the bank and sign to close the account.

I followed up with multiple emails to multiple departments and eventually was cc'd in an email giving instructions to close my accounts.

My husband followed suite with his accounts and managed to close them after weeks of doing the same, calls and emails almost weekly.

I still however have my savings account active which infuriates me as I don't even have access online as its been locked but not closed. Ridiculous situation.

• Like 1

Thank you Mel-B!

Yes I suspected it wont be easy. I will call them and see how far I get.....

There is only one way to close the account and that is to go to the bank and show your face. The ONLY accounts you can close form overseas (ironically enough) are credit cards. But, having said that, if the account is locked and dormant for long enough it will close automatically anyway. I would like to see them try an recoup account fees over the ditch.