186 Visa processing times.

PieterLouw

Hi,

We just received news today that our 186 Visa has been lodged. 🎉

It's quite a relief to get to this point after months of discussions, gathering documents, doing skills assessment and English tests etc.

I see my skills assessment code is on the priority list, so I am hopeful all goes well.

I see processing times for the 186 DE is currently on 6 - 12 months - does anyone know if this is the case for visas that fall in the priority category as well?

The processing times are a generalisation.  Everyone's time lines are different and I do not know the circumstances of your case to comment.  But as a generalisation many of the 186 visa applications where the occupation is on the priority lists are generally moving very quickly at the moment.

Good luck

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

I'm updating the progress here of the timeline for anybody also doing the 186 visa:

3 August: Visa lodged.

5 August: Medicals done

6 August: Immigration start looking at application. Send Form s56, requesting information (medicals, police clearance certificates (PCC))

29 August: Received PCC's (What a nightmare process this was. Requested PCC in June already and at some point my request was lost and it was suggested I had to reapply.  Went to the SAPS Criminal Record Centre and found out my ID number was input incorrectly. Luckily the certificates were ready when I went to query at CRC's. Also, no updates as SMS system was down. )

All documents submitted by us and our sponsor.

Now, basically just waiting, feeling like this guy below. 🙃

2c986e14-49df-417e-9b10-68943144dbcd.jpg.94e2455b97d3e96c6d898bebee10b5bf.jpg

On 9/3/2021 at 9:07 AM, FutureSydneysider said:

I'm updating the progress here of the timeline for anybody also doing the 186 visa:

3 August: Visa lodged.

5 August: Medicals done

6 August: Immigration start looking at application. Send Form s56, requesting information (medicals, police clearance certificates (PCC))

29 August: Received PCC's (What a nightmare process this was. Requested PCC in June already and at some point my request was lost and it was suggested I had to reapply.  Went to the SAPS Criminal Record Centre and found out my ID number was input incorrectly. Luckily the certificates were ready when I went to query at CRC's. Also, no updates as SMS system was down. )

7 September: Visa's granted.🎉

23 minutes ago, Samie said:

Congratulations 🎊, are you onshore or offshore?

Thank you. We are offshore. (South Africa)

Aww what a fast grant it is👏. I’m wondering if you’re able to assist with information as I’m looking to help my brother, does one need to get a job first then company sponsors, he’s an Electrician (General).

13 hours ago, Samie said:

Aww what a fast grant it is👏. I’m wondering if you’re able to assist with information as I’m looking to help my brother, does one need to get a job first then company sponsors, he’s an Electrician (General).

At the current time as a generalisation the Australian borders are closed.  Exemptions are being provided to some 'Priority' occupations (PMSOL and potentially some critical positions) where a person is sponsored by an employer.
Outside of COVID-19, within the skilled visas, there are generally two pathways 1) applying for a skilled independent visa yourself and 2) applying for an employer nominated visa. 
To answer your question relating to employer nominated visas - he would first need to locate an employer that has a suitable position that are eligible.  The employer and the position would need to be approved before a visa application can be submitted.  Electrician (General) is not currently on the PMSOL. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Reviving an older thread...

Any recent experience on processing times for 186 Visas?

We will start the process soon for our 186 TRTS. I know there is info online but thought there might be some real life feedback?