How long to wait?

Jaydi

We submitted an EOI in February 2020 to Victoria for a SS 190.
Didn't hear anything before Covid struck.

We have been renting for the past three years, thinking that we would be leaving the country.
Now our landlord wants to use the house for his business, so we have to move.

We're both 33, so already in the older age bracket. Both programmers, so we shouldn't struggle too much to find work.

So I'm wondering what the feeling/opinion is about whether things will be slightly more normal in a year of two?
To me it seems that they Australians and New Zealanders are paranoid about Covid, and they're waiting for a population-wide vaccine before the borders will be opened/invitations from outside will be considered again.

We're not sure whether we should buy a house, or look for another house to rent? 
I feel like if we don't stay for at least five years, it doesn't make sense to buy. 
We have already moved some money overseas. 

Anyways, I don't know whether any of this makes sense, but feel free to share news articles and opinions. 🙂

As a software developer, you'll find work pretty easily.

The borders aren't shut to citizens or people with permanent residency so you'd be able to come if you get your visas.

On 1/20/2021 at 1:17 AM, Jaydi said:

To me it seems that they Australians and New Zealanders are paranoid about Covid

I don't think we're paranoid about it at all, relatively speaking people in both countries have been able to continue with life as if there is no virus because of the precautions taken by our respective governments.

On buying a house, I wouldn't be putting down any roots in South Africa.  Get your visa and get into Australia as soon as you can.

• Like 2

What @ChrisH said 👍

The only issue you may potentially have is your actual flight (availability, being bumped off, cancellations etc) and then also, if one of you have a positive Covid test, not being able to fly to Australia as it now a requirement to have a negative Covid test to board your flight to Australia.

I would not say we are paranoid about Covid.  We are sensible about it and so far it's paid off. We had a Covid breakout in our area a few days before Christmas which spread like wildfire and we were shut down within a few hours, missing out on Christmas and New Year with our families but 3 weeks later and we were out of lock-down and mostly back to normal. If they haven't shut us down we'd be looking at thousands of cases by now and on our way to a disaster.   

20 hours ago, Riekie said:

paranoid

Something that I've noticed about South Africans, we actually use many English words without truly understanding the meaning of it.  "Shame" comes to mind.  

I think that's also why we're sometimes perceived as rude or direct because we use words like shame and paranoid when if you look at their true meaning its not what you intended.

image.png.0a07e5f262576b387fab49d6478c9844.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with the issue about paranoid. It definitely is because we have a harder culture and dont have time to mess around so we use very direct language and instructions (hey we used to running away from Lions, hijackers and getting home to switch on the inverter before load shedding). Something I am working on myself.......