TESOL TEFL etc

zoot

Did anyone study TEFL or TESOL for teaching English to foreign students if do which did you study, what did it involve and was it worthwhile?  Was it sufficient or did you need to do the equivalent of a teacher's degree?

7 hours ago, zoot said:

Did anyone study TEFL or TESOL for teaching English to foreign students if do which did you study, what did it involve and was it worthwhile?  Was it sufficient or did you need to do the equivalent of a teacher's degree?

I would strongly recommend that you look at the requirements by way of qualifications and work experience required to meet the requirement that you can be considered skilled in the nominated occupation.   Plus, be aware that occupations / visa options can change over time and what type of pathway you may need to take if aiming to use this occupation. 

Hi Zoot,

What would be the reason for doing the TEFL course? It would be sufficient to teach English to foreign students and there does tend to be a demand for this. 

It wouldn't really count as a qualification is you are looking to apply for a visa as a teacher however.

@zootMy wife did her CELTA course in the January of 2014. The requirements for entry to that specific course (back then) was a minimum of any 4 year bachelors, or equivalent Australian degree (did not have to be teaching orientated). She had a choice to study the normal course over a 3 month period or the express course which had exactly the same course workload but was done in 1 month instead of 3. Both options are residential. The course and accommodation in 2014 cost us around $4000.00 but I am sure that the cost would have gone up since then.

Having said all this I would strongly advise you to do thorough research into job opportunities in this field. With the current covid-19 situation and the international border closures to foreign students this industry has taken a sharp decline. Many of the English schools have closed down and those that have remained open are doing so thanks to the governments job keeper program which ends on 31 March 2021 at which point I am guessing that most (if not all) of these schools will either permanently shut their doors, or like my wife's school, go into hibernation until the international borders open to foreign students again. As I understand it this will only likely happen  ant the end of December 2021, which is the current date set by immigration and could be easily extended further depending on the state of affairs.

You also need to bear in mind that TEFL or TESOL courses are only offered to immigrants and foreign students and the normal school system does not really cater for English as a second language. TAFE and Uni also offer these courses to their international students but have also been hit with massive student losses which has in turn has led to many of the TEFL or TESOL staff being made redundant.

I am not trying to be the bad guy or destroy your hopes of becoming a teacher of English as a second language but fro personal experience (with my wife being one and now need to look for alternative employment) this is not an industry you want to try and get into at the moment or for the foreseeable future, there are just no jobs available and those people who do have current positions are holding on to them for dear life.

You are welcome to PM with any more questions you have and I will my best to answer them.

P.S. Consider doing a cert 4 in aged care or even AIN - There are not enough workers in the front-line health care system and the industry is booming.