Change of employment - VETASSES and EOI

Lorraine

Question

Dear Forum Members

I have submitted an EOI for a 189 and 190 visa. I have a positive vetassess outcome for the Environmental Research Scientist occupation. I am considering changing jobs and want to apply for a postdoctoral research position (one year contract but remain an environmental scientist). My my concern is the implication will this have for my EOI submission. More specifically:

1. What happens when you change jobs - do you have to re-do the vetassess and update your EOI? If so, after what period should you do this? The statement of service would be an issue before the contract period is up.

2. Does a postdoctoral position count as work experience?

4 answers to this question

From my understanding of VETASSESS, having done 4 of them, is that every time you move job you need a new assessment. As for if the post-doc will count, it depends on what the letter from the employer has in it, not one of my jobs assessed had a title which aligned to my occupation but the letters ended up covering the differences.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lorraine said:

Dear Forum Members

I have submitted an EOI for a 189 and 190 visa. I have a positive vetassess outcome for the Environmental Research Scientist occupation. I am considering changing jobs and want to apply for a postdoctoral research position (one year contract but remain an environmental scientist). My my concern is the implication will this have for my EOI submission. More specifically:

1. What happens when you change jobs - do you have to re-do the vetassess and update your EOI? If so, after what period should you do this? The statement of service would be an issue before the contract period is up.

2. Does a postdoctoral position count as work experience?

You have already done an EOI based on past experience, I don't see any reason why you would need to do another EOI on future employment. Your vetassess would be based on past experience, unless I am missing something?

9 hours ago, TakeItOnTheChin said:

You have already done an EOI based on past experience, I don't see any reason why you would need to do another EOI on future employment. Your vetassess would be based on past experience, unless I am missing something?

That would make the most sense but sometimes these things aren't based on logical reasoning. I am assuming that 9 years of work experience already assessed positively would still apply despite taking a year off to do a postdoc after the assessment. I am worried it is considered a gap in employment if I resign and the implications of that later down the line. I guess this is where using an agent comes in handy.

There is no requirement to currently be employed in your nominated occupation. If you have a positive skills assessment you are still able to claim points as you have done previously. You could even change career paths completely and still apply in the occupation you were assessed in. Just keep in mind that you can only claim experience for the preceding 10 years before being invited. So after some time some of that experience will not be counted. If you wish to have the new job added to the skilled employment then you would need to do another assessment to have the new employment verification done.

• Thanks 1