Estate agents in Adelaide

Ella007

Hi All 

We need some help / Guidance regarding estate agents and rentals. Myself and my husband with 2 kids (5&3) will be coming end July and we not to sure whats the best way to get a 2 /3 bedroom house in our budget. Do we wait till we there and try get an agent in the 2 weeks we staying in a hotel or do we try make a connection with a reliable estate agent now and start asking for houses? Looks can be deceiving with photos so i would like to view before we make decisions.

Im just looking for the best way to do this? Try reach out to agent now or wait till we there? How does the whole process work with rentals? i know its per week, but do you have to wait for the start of the month to move in or could you do it in the middle of the month? Also how long is their rental contacts? we not sure which area we want to be in so short rentals would be best. Maybe 4 weeks at a location until we happy with the area?   

We looking at Glenelg down to Hallett Cove. 

Regards

Winkler Family :)

We recently moved to Adelaide and moved into our first rental last week. You are welcome to PM me.

Edited by frosty

Our experience with renting/buying was very different to what we had experience with agents back in RSA....

In Aus they only do "home opens" and facilitate paperwork. I dont think you're going to stumble on one that will make a list of your requirements, present you with a list of potentials and possibly even take you on a tour to view them...

Search sites like realestate.com.au, make a list of the ones you might be interested in, arrive early for the viewing, make sure you have a pre-completed application.... And make an effort to speak to/befriend the agent so that they hopefully choose your application as one of the potentials to show to the owner...

As @Titus said, the agent is not like in South Africa.  It's not their job to find you a rental property (there might be exceptions to the rule, but there are more than enough tenants to go around so they literally have to show up to a 15 minute open viewing to find new tenants). 

Use https://www.domain.com.au/ or https://www.realestate.com.au/rent/ to find properties you like, work out which properties you would like to see over a weekend.  Make sure you chat to the agent, if they remember you your chances are much better to get picked.

• Like 1

Q: Do we wait till we there and try get an agent in the 2 weeks we staying in a hotel or do we try make a connection with a reliable estate agent now and start asking for houses?

A:  I believe they cannot legally rent a place to you that you have not physically inspected.  This means you need to be here before you can rent a place.

Q:Try reach out to agent now or wait till we there?

A;  As @ChrisH said, you would not get anything out of an agent when you reach out to them

Q: Do you have to wait for the start of the month to move in or could you do it in the middle of the month?

A:  You could move in any time.  Usually the adverts also state when the rental is available.  One of the things that are different is also that the properties are usually empty when they start advertising, so in principle you can move in immediately. 

Q:  Also how long is their rental contacts?

A:  Rental contracts are usually 12 months and you pay quite a bit if you break the contract early.

Q:   Maybe 4 weeks at a location until we happy with the area?   

A:  You might get a rental contract for 6 months, but not less than that.  You could stay at an AirBnB in an area before you decide to rent there.