Buying a car

Justyna

Hi Everyone,

Hope someone could help:)

Can you buy a car using your Airbnb's address? (car registration/licence etc)

Basically, we would like to buy a car as soon as possible, to avoid paying for a rental car.

I fear it might take us a few weeks or months to find rental accommodation.......

Many thanks

Justyna

I purchased my car from SA today. Collecting it when I land on the 22nd of May. Will let you know if I run into any issues with regards to the paperwork. 

• Thanks 1

@frosty  That's brilliant!  Good luck with all the plans!  This sounds like a great idea!  I'll await your update :)  Many thanks in advance! 

10 hours ago, Justyna said:

Can you buy a car using your Airbnb's address? (car registration/licence etc)

I'm sure you can, just check with the Airbnb if they're ok to keep post for you. You'll just have to update your address when you find a rental.

• Thanks 1

AirBnb host did not want post and recommended we open a box with Auspost.

On day 1 we went to the post office to open a PO box. This was very useful as we would likely be moving about quite a bit until we find a longer term rental.

Day 2 we went to ATO and medicare to register, also the banks to activate accounts and update contact details and Tax file numbers etc.

We bought a used car from interstate on day 3. I had the Blue, Pink and Green slips all done on day 4 in the morning. Took the Canberra plates off and went to Service NSW in the afternoon to register and get NSW plates. Also converted my licence while I was there.

On day 5 I was bored out of my skull and concerned if I'll fit in with the new employer. I had to start 2 days later. I still work for them almost 6 years on.

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2019 at 7:18 PM, frosty said:

I purchased my car from SA today. Collecting it when I land on the 22nd of May. Will let you know if I run into any issues with regards to the paperwork. 

What website did you use to buy the car from SA? I assume you bought it online?

3 hours ago, MaraJade said:

Purchased directly from the Mazda dealership. They had good deals on demo models.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MaraJade said:

Hi, look at

https://www.carsales.com.au/   you can elect dealer or private sellers or both 

Personally I would wait until you get here, and do it face to face (and dont be shy to ask for discount)

• Like 1