Should I switch from 189 to 190 for NSW?

LekkerOuJan

Please excuse me for ranting a bit here, but I am still a little angry about the events of the last week. The migration agent I hired has let me down once again. She claims to have lodged my 189 EOI back on 28 February, and I have heard nothing from her until last week. At first I thought everything was okay and it was just a waiting game now, especially with the caretaker mode just before the elections in Australia.

My initial thought was that I had 80 points, but last week, after 2 months of radio silence, the agent finally decided that maybe she should tell me that due to some technicalities I only have 75, and that maybe we should change my application to a 190 for NSW.

I have been told repeatedly that NSW is the single most difficult state to get into, so I am very weary of that. At the same time though, the agent says it is the only state giving invites to Industrial Engineers. It might be worth mentioning that I would prefer not to go to Sydney itself, but rather up the coast to the Newcastle area, if I can get work there.

My girlfriend is also in NSW, she was born in Australia. She would like to know whether there is any way she can help me with my application.

With regards to you girlfriend being from Australia, I am not aware of anything she would be able to help with when it comes to 189/190 Visa applications. Where did you loose the 5 points? If you were planning on NSW I find it odd that your agent would not have recommended you try for both 189 & 190 Simultaneously. It is literally one tick box away when it comes to submitting the EOI. We did that and received a NSW pre-invitation, however we were lucky enough to receive 189 invitation shortly thereafter 

The lost 5 points was because the only counted my work experience from my graduation date from university, rather than from when I actually started working. Which is unfortunate but I guess that's just how they do it.

I did not know that I could do both at the same time, I thought it could only be one or the other.

Unfortunately that is a standard rule with regards to work experience prior to obtaining your formal qualification. Something you agent should be well aware of. 

When you complete your EOI there is an option to opt for 189 and then you can choose to submit the same EOI of 190. In fact you can opt for all states simultaneously if you like. Alternatively some create a separate EOI for each 190 so as to ensure you can receive more than one invitation at a time, however this is not necessary if you are happy to apply for whichever you receive first. Like a said, it is literally a check box to complete.

I think the confusion came due to me doing the work that my degree was for before actually having it. But yes, the agent should have told me beforehand, or even just at the time the EOI was lodged. It's very frustrating to have lost this time.

I am now being told that the states don't like it when they see you applied for multiple states.

16 hours ago, LekkerOuJan said:

I have been told repeatedly that NSW is the single most difficult state to get into, so I am very weary of that.

I would suggest discussing this a bit further with your agent as they should be able to advise.  To some extent it may depend upon your occupation, as it does vary between occupations somewhat and the competition.