What if you will not be able to do a LSD trip?

bienkie

Hi there :D

It seems as if most people first do a LSD trip before making the final decision ? For us it will not be possible to do - for various reasons - finances being one of them! :P I am using the internet a lot and must say that there are wonderful and informative sites out there. The only problem is that I think it can almost create a "fairy tale " situation because for obvious reasons the negative aspects will not be mentioned as often as the positive ones!

The way I see it, is that the most important thing will be to make sure that one will be able to get a decent job. If you have good job possibilities, then getting a place to rent is the second step. And depending on where you get a job, you will have to start looking for the best schools in the area etc.

I would like to hear from other "hopefuls" that are also in the same situation - not being able to do a LSD trip.

For people already in Australia - you can play a HUGE role in being almost like an Ambassador for the city/town you are currently living in ! What about the idea of "mapping" some of the towns everybody is currently staying in and giving info in an "orderly" fashion with headings like:

1. What I like about this town/suburb ?

2. What I don't like about this town/suburb ?

3. Is it a great place for families ?

4. What good schools can be recommended ?

5. What are the house renting prices like ?

6. What areas must be avoided if any ?

7. Transport - things to look out for ?

8. Groups of Saffers already in town ?

9. Churches or organisations that can be recommended ?

Maybe everyone in SA wanting info can add to the list ?

You know for somebody still in SA trying to make a choice between so much information, it will be a wonderful help if people on this forum will take time to almost complete a "community assessment" or Fact Sheet of the place in which they stay and then making that info available under the different regions of Australia. :)

Am I making sense ? Maybe the forum moderator can add a heading called Impressions of suburbs or towns and under this everyone staying in that town can give input and info ?

Thanks ! :blush:

It does make a lot of sense bienkie. :blush:

As soon as I can, I'll knock something together for Adelaide, and everybody else who lives in, or know Adelaide will be welcome to add onto it.

I think it is a great idea, and it will certainly help if we start to codify all the the info already accumelated here.

Now, LSD trips. They sure can be useful in order to compare different centres or to network with prospective employers and other Saffers. However, in my opinion they are not nescessary. We did not have a LSD trip, and although our initial landing was not ideal, we still settled in rather quickly.

For example, if you are a plumber, electrician, diesel mechanic, etc. then you will either land here with a job secured or you should have a job quicly after landing, so, a LSD would have been a waste, in some respects. Unless its vitally important for you that you physically SEE Adelaide, Perth or Brisbane before you make up your mind.

In esence, LSD trips are up to indivdual people or families, and what works for them. with us, we basically did some research on Oz as a whole and then decided on Adelaide for reasons that basically revolved around factotrs such as costs of living, jobs in education, climate etc.

Just do a search throuh the forums, not too long ago there was a thread on things that we as migrants experienced as negative here in Oz.

I don't want to stick my neck out here, but providing that you are landing here with a job secured, or with skills/qualifications/experience that will ensure you a job quickly, you don't really need a LDS. Information on things that are important like schools, churches, OK suburbs, weather patterns, regional costs of living, public transport etc., really can be obtained right here on sites like this. What you have to make up your mind about whike you are still in RSA is WHERE you want to settle, and that is where different members on this site who are already here, can give you specific info on a specific Centre.

Also, If saaustralia.org existed 11 years ago when we first made our move, our move and setling over here would have been much easier. :)

But then, many things you will have to decide for yourself; like the specific suburb/town where you are going to live, your kid's school etc.

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

We can not do a LSD, so for us it will be 'swem Jannie, swem'

We have already made up our mindes, we will NOT return, we WILL make it work.

So, any info on town and Regions of Rockhampton, Queensland will be great. I feel like a walking website about the region, read any and every thing there is to read on the internet.

First hand experience will therefore be absolutaly FANTASTIC.

Sorry to hijack your thread Bienkie - just a quick one for Wannebee!

So, any info on town and Regions of Rockhampton, Queensland will be great.
Go and have a look at this thread on Rockhampton.

SAS

Bienkie

We are in the same situation, no LSD trip for us.

But, we decided that it will be Australia, no matter where. Finding a job (for a 457) is the hardest part. From there on you can start looking at areas and suburbs.

If you go on a 136 you should have enough time to explore the different cities and options as the 136 takes a while.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Regards

Riaan

Hi all

We too will not be able to do a LSD and have also decided that it is a matter of shut up and deal with any problems we might face on that side. I dont really see the value of an LSD anyway as most people are in a holiday frame of mind. So, to me, unless you are going for an interview etc you are not going to get a true reflection of things as 2-3 weeks tends to feel like a holiday and everything will appear rosy.

Oh and I also cant afford to do one :thumbdown:

Just my 2c worth

Dave

We will also not be doing one, as long as its safer over there we are also happy to deal with any problems we come across................

We are also not in a position to do and LSD and are trying to make the Perth / Brisbane decision from a distance - quite hard I think. For me the priorites are:

1. Good schooling

2. Like minded people

3. Job opportunities

We are moving on a 138 visa and I will look for work when I arrive. We have a child who's primary schooling is key. Perth really sounds like a gret place, I am just worried about the property prices which seem to have sky rocketed.

In SA, we lived in a middle of the range house in the Northern suburbs (Sandton / Bryanston) and would probably like to move to an area (where ever that may be) that would be similar in the type of families and opportunities for friendships that may exist. I was corporately based and hope that finding a job in Auz would not be a problem.....

Nix

Hi

We will also not be doing the LSD trip, too poor to even consider it(unless we win the non-existing lotto). Will surf the net and decide closer to the time. Most important thing is to get your visa and then take the step to Australia. No matter where you go, it will be filled with exciting new opportunities and a lot safer environment to live in.

Cheers

J&J

I wouldnt worry too much about an LSD. Seeing a place on a short trip is very different to living there. Of course, it would be comforting to know where you are going but exploring the city and surrounds is all part of the adventure that awaits you. We had visited Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Brisbane, the Gold Coast and some of the countryside on a holiday (not a LSD) 2 years before arriving and I honestly dont think it gave us any advantage outside of looking forward to returning to Aus when we actually decided to look into living here. We felt we could live in any city because we had a good time in all of them and they all seemed nice enough. All the things you want to know about you would research on the internet anyway. ie. find an area within your price range, shortlist the schools, find the best phone plan, investigate public transport. Only once you actually live here could you commit to most things.

As things went, we ended up in Townsville (no LSD here) and are loving it. We heard really mixed things about it so were a little apprehensive before arriving but we just took the attitude that this is an adventure and we can move on in time if we dont like it. (Big plus for me is that we have not experienced winter yet and swam in our pool as recently as Sunday :thumbdown: Still 29 degrees up here ). I somehow think that unless you go and live in a very small rural town somewhere in the outback you will be happy here, its always a struggle in the beginning but it gets better every day.

Just get on over here! :censored:

Alan

Edited by alanb

Dear Bienkie,

I somehow think that unless you go and live in a very small rural town somewhere in the outback you will be happy here

I totally agree with Alan; Australia is very liveable and every city / town has it’s own unique charm.

We went on our LSD in March / April 2007 (Feedback from our LSD Trip), but only because my husband had to be admitted as a Solicitor in Sydney’s Supreme Court. The LSD helped us a lot, but I won’t say that it is essential :D .

I think it is more about one’s attitude and if you decide that you are going to love Australia or the city/town that you are going to, you will like it . Both my husband and I went with the intention to like Australia and we fell in love :lol: with the country. If we went with the intention not to like Australia, we probably would have hated it. It’s all about attitude ;) !

A LSD trip is really great and helpful, but with the Internet, Google Earth and www.saaustralia.org, it is definitely not imperative :lol: .

All the best with your plans!

Lovies, Pippa! X

After World War 2, Australia got really worried about invaded.

It cam within an ace of being invaded in 1942 by the Japanese who came within a couple of hundred miles of the Australian mainland . . . . a bit like the Italians and Germans coming down as far as Victoria Falls!

"Populate or perish" was the catch-phrase after the War to get people to come here and help increase Australia's population above the 7 000 000 it had.

Poms came here by the boatload for 10 pound each . . . the Australian gov't subsidising their fare heavily, just to get them here.

99.9% of them had never been to Australia. If they had, invariably it would have been thro a War-time experience onboard a destroyer or otherwise.

You really don't need to come over and check the joint out first.

You'll be in "holiday mode" when you first rock up and won't get a real "feel" for the place anyhow.

Life is quite different to coming here for a few days to actually living here, getting out of bed five days a week, taking the kids off to school, doing the weekly shopping, watching the 7 0'clock News at night, etc.

You've gotta be doing it for real to appreciate the lifestyle . . . warts an' all.

Come, by all means, but don't consider that you're getting the real deal by coming for just a couple of weeks. Treat it more like what it really is . . . . a well-deserved holiday

You've gotta be doing it for real to appreciate the lifestyle . . . warts an' all.

Well stated Bob! You said in one sentence what i tried to convey in almost an essay! :lol:

Cheers,

Dax

Maybe everyone in SA wanting info can add to the list ?

You know for somebody still in SA trying to make a choice between so much information, it will be a wonderful help if people on this forum will take time to almost complete a "community assessment" or Fact Sheet of the place in which they stay and then making that info available under the different regions of Australia. :lol:

Am I making sense ? Maybe the forum moderator can add a heading called Impressions of suburbs or towns and under this everyone staying in that town can give input and info ?

Thanks ! :)

Hi Bienkie!

Ons was in dieselfde bootjie as julle, het net eenvouding nie die dollars gehad vir 'n LSD nie. Maar... gelukkig help die tegnologie en hierdie forum natuurlik baie!! Ons het baie, baie, baie opgelees. Ek het begin deur mense in elke hoofstad op te soek. Jy sal verbaas wees, as jy vir mense begin noem dat jy oorweeg om Australië toe te kom, hoe baie mense hier is. Ek kon in Perth, Melbourne. Brisbane en Sydney met iemand kommunikeer en nie een van hulle was op die forum nie. Ek het eers later op die forum afgekom. Dis mos lekker om soos hulle sê, "uit die perd se bek"inligting vandaan te kry.

Ons het op die ou einde in Sydney geland en hier is my bevindinge. Nou... ons het eers op 24 Mei 2007 hier aangeland, so dalk sal dit beter wees om iemand wat langer hier is se opinie te kry. ;) Maar... vir wat dit werd is hier is my opinie. Ek antwoord jou puntsgewys.

Let wel: ek ken net Sydney en is seker die ander steke is soos Pippa gesê het ook baie goed!

Jou vrae:

Aanvanklik het ek nie verwag om so baie van die CBD te hou nie. Man, daar is 'n "vibe" wat vir my absoluut fantasties is. Dit is asof jy kan "voel" dat hierdie 'n wêreldklas-stad is. Hier is ongelooflik baie om te doen. Die hawe met al sy attraksies is naby (soos Darling Harbour, Sydney Towers ens), die Blue Mountains is naby, jy kan selfs gaan ski. Hier is die ongelooflikste parke en als werk en word mooi instand gehou. As jy net noord van Sydney ry, Gold coast se kant toe, is daar die mooiste strande en natuurskoon.

Die verkeer vanaf die stad is erg vanaf 3:30 tot 6:00 die aand!

Beslis ja - AS jy in die voorstede bly. Ons is in die Hills distrik, jy is ver van die stadsgewoel maar ook naby genoeg! Hier is baie parke wat families besoek met lekker Malls om rond te shop!

Ek ken hulle nie goed genoeg nie, maar sover ek van die Ozzies verstaan, is hier in die Hills distrik nie rerig slegte skole nie. My ondervinding van die skole wat ons besoek het, is baie goed. Die onderwysers is profesioneel en vriendelik. Die kinders kom goed gemanierd en ontspanne voor. Die kinders toon baie selfvertroue!

Ons is 'n gesin van 4 persone. In die orde van $420 tot $550 kon ons goeie eiendomme kry, wat netjies is. Die huurmark is baie kompeterend en 'n ou moet gou spring as jy in 'n eiendom belangstel.

Sover ek verstaan, die westelike voorstede.

Die vervoerstelsel is puik. Daar is gereeld busse of treine en ek het gevind dat daar diep in die woonbuurte busstoppe is. My kinders het die trein ritte baie geniet. Jy moet net gou spring as hy by die stasie stop, hy stop nie lank nie! :P

Twee dae nadat ons hier aangeland het, het iemand ons in Epping "raakgepraat". Hulle het gehoor ons praat Afrikaans en ons genader. Hier is BAIE SAners!! :P

Hier is rerig vir elke smaak 'n kerk.

So... soos ek gesê het, het ek net eerstehandse ondervinding van Sydney. Sydney is groot, maar hier is ongelooflik baie om te doen!

Hoop dit help!

Groete van huis tot huis

Tania

Hello almal

Dax, I like the way you think!!

Bienkie, moenie worrie nie, jy sal oral in pas! Soos almal se elke dorp/stad het sy eie goeie en slegte punte,die belangrikste is dat Australie baie familie friendelik is. Dis seker die belangrikste vir ons almal.

Ja, daar gaan goed wees wat jy oor kan kla maar maak nie saak waar ons is of in watter situasie nie ons mensies kla altyd oor iets. Die belangrikste is dat dit veilig is en 'n mens word beloon vir jou effort!

Die foto's op die net is partykeer bietjie misleidend so onthou net dat dit nie heeltemal so heavenly lyk nie.

Ons is nie city mense nie en het 4 jaar op 'n tropiese eiland gebly die stad was nogal 'n skok vir die sisteem maar na 5 maande is ons heel gelukkig, Eintlik was ons van die begin af gelukkig maar met die tyd raak mens meer en meer.

O, so by the way ons het ook "cold turkey" hier aan gekom.

Grootste oorweging is- have a job when you arrive!!

Lovies

Nilo