IELTS requirements

TEAM3REDEL

Question

Good evening!

Thanks for this brilliant site! It makes the entire process seem less scary.

We are in the initial stages of applying for the 189 visa. My wife is the main applicant and myself and our daughter will be the dependents.

She is writing her IELTS on the 6th of April and both of us are secondary school teachers.

My question is this: 

As she is the main applicant, it is required of her to write the academic version of the IELTS, but what are my requirements?

I understand that I am, for teaching purposes, also required to undertake this exam, but is my test the academic or the general version? And at what stage should I get this done? 

Do schools offer sport during school hours? For instance, if I want to coach rugby there?

Your feedback is much appreciated!

2 answers to this question

4 hours ago, TEAM3REDEL said:

As she is the main applicant, it is required of her to write the academic version of the IELTS, but what are my requirements?

I understand that I am, for teaching purposes, also required to undertake this exam, but is my test the academic or the general version? And at what stage should I get this done? 

In order to teach, you'll need to have your qualifications assessed in just the same way as your wife (despite her being the main applicant) so you'll need the academic version for this. You don't need to necessarily have your assessment done in time for the 189 application but you will need to have them done at some time to be able to teach here as it's part of each state's teachers application process.

I think you'll find this post below helpful with the process. Your wife will do all the steps and you'll need to do only the steps necessary to become registered as a teacher in order to be able to work.

4 hours ago, TEAM3REDEL said:

Do schools offer sport during school hours? For instance, if I want to coach rugby there?

On the whole, schools do not offer sport in the same way as RSA schools. They have PE during school hours but no afternoon sport as such. Sport is club based after hours and on weekends so training sessions are run in the evenings and are not connected to school. Also rugby (RSA style) is not as big here. Not that it is impossible to find a club to join but I just want to give you the heads up that "rugby in schools" is not a thing here.

• Like 1