What is SAA like these days?

sianvz

My mom is coming over to Melbourne for a visit in April and SAA currently have very good price on flights, my mom is quite keen to do a Perth stopover to visit a friend so would work out well. No one I know flies SAA anymore and previously my mom has only flown Qantas and they’re only a couple hundred more expensive when on sale.

Wondering if anyone has flown with SAA recently and what was your experience? I have a friend whose parents know one of the pilot trainers for SAA and says he wouldn’t fly SAA so now I’m paranoid! I’m more concerned about safety than comfort as my mom isn’t fussy.

Thanks!

flew with them a few times over the past decade or so, until switching to emirates in 2013. Poor to say the least. the only thing good is a quick flight. Arrogant staff with a versin "beef or chicken" attitude. 

as with safety - its not in our hands

• Thanks 1

Hi Sian,

I flew to South Africa twice last year from Melbourne. Once with SAA via Perth and once with Qantas via Sydney.  In my opinion there is not much difference in the airlines on this route at least.  Both planes were pretty 'tired', both were on time and both had edible meals.  The seat back screen on Qantas is bigger though :)

If SAA is cheaper and you Mom wants to stop in Perth then that seems like the obvious choice to me.

Regards

• Thanks 2

Hello Sian, No problem. I am well thanks - I hope you are too!

Regards