The dog. To take or not to take.

Hunts

We are only 7 months away from moving from Dubai to Melbourne however we are unsure what to do with our dog. We will either take him with us or we will send him back to Cape Town to my father-in-law. The dog is a 6.5-year-old cocker spaniel who we bought him in 2011 as a puppy in Cape Town and brought him with us to Dubai in 2013.

We would love to take him with us and as expensive as the associated costs are, we can afford it, however we are thinking about our (and the dog’s) life in Australia. If he comes with us he will be home alone a lot of the time. It will also restrict our ability to go away for weekends as someone will have to be paid to look after him. I have also found very few rentals that allow pets. As soon as you add the pet requirement into the search criteria the number of available properties drops quite considerably. If we send him back to Cape Town he will be living with 2 other dogs so he will have constant company. We will miss him dearly which is why this decision is not easy.

I would like to get an idea of what everyone else has done in this situation. Has anyone that has taken their pets regretted it? Likewise for people that re-homed their pets. Did you regret not taking them with you? We have already started preparation for taking him to Australia (rabies test etc.) so if we do take him there won’t be any delays.

Hard one. We decided to leave our pets behind with my mom. She spoiled them rotten! They were very happy, and they adapted quickly to life without us. We mourned for them and still miss them (3 years later). Both dogs have passed away in the meantime but lived well and very content. We did the right thing for them I am 100% sure of it. It's a hard choice to make.

• Like 1

It is a really difficult one. We have two Boston Terriers and decided not to bring them across due to similar reasons (we were in a three bedroom house in Jhb with a private garden and we are now in a 2 bedroom flat with no garden) plus I was worried about them surviving the flight with their squashed faces. We were also lucky to have my parents as an option for rehoming them - and still being able to keep track of them and see them when we visit SA. They are what I miss most about SA, but they are literally living their best lives. My dad is retired so they have someone home with them all day, they get walks every day and my mother spoils them to pieces. 

I think it has to come to what makes the most sense to you, and your personal circumstances - as much as I miss them, having the option of living with my parents is definitely a better option for them at this stage...

• Like 1