Anyone in Newcastle??

Gecko

So - the girls and I landed on the 12th Dec.. Hubby has been here for the past 6 weeks already. He found us a place to stay and bought a car, hooked us up with internet etc. We are staying in Fletcher which is in Newcastle. Im told there are a few South Africans in the area, so I was wondering if anyone here is in the area?

Its currently 3am and I cant sleep.. might be jet lag or maybe this is the only time I have alone while everyone else is asleep. 

What I think so far? It feels as if I moved to Durban (because of the heat and humidity) but with the JHB afternoon thunder showers. So many bugs.. too many bugs! I feel very awkward going to any shops because Im actually struggling to understand some of the Ozzies accents. I feel as if I look like a dear caught in headlights when they try to speak to me and then Im too embarrassed to talk back because I dont speak the lingo (how you going? - well Im going by car, why do you ask!??) and I know I must sound very funny to them too! Hubby wants to go for a big shop this weekend - Im dreading it! Not only are we incapable of shopping together without fighting, but I will be forced to communicate with the locals. Dont get me wrong.. so far everyone has been extremely friendly and nice.. its all me... and I know I need to get over myself, Im in their country after all, but its going to take some getting used to!

I have a meeting with the kids school on Monday.. because of where we live, we only really have one option, so Im really holding thumbs that its a nice school for my girls.

Has anyone else noticed the size of ozzie fruit and veg here compared to SA??? I was like a child the first time I was at the shops yesterday... the pineapples are the size of my head and the bananas were the size of my arms! If I didnt care so much about what the locals thought - I would have taken pics right there in the shop.. it was amazing!!

The bird life blows me away.. if it wasnt for the amount of bugs, I could sit outside all day and watch all the different and beautiful birds.

• Like 2

Hi @Gecko, we are in Newcastle... well more like Lake Macquarie as Cameron Park falls under Lake Mac. I had the option of a property in Fletcher and the one I in Cameron Park which I took. You can read my journal if you are interested in my experience though it might be closer to what your husband went through.

You, like me, have landed in what I see as a rainy patch so the humidity is quite high though in the 2 and a half months I've been here we've had a big heat wave for a week and a half as well where it was quite dry. Also the afternoon thundershowers were more of a thing in the past from what my colleagues have said, not so common nowadays. Apparently there's a big drought at the moment.

The local vernacular can be quite intimidating and sometimes funny as you have already pointed out with "How 'ya goin?". It does get easier though. Two and a half months in I feel quite comfortable communicating, we all speak the same language and the locals are very capable of understanding us. There are some accents, like the Queensland one, which can be a challenge. One thing to note is not to ask back how they are doing after they say "Hi how are ya?"... 100% of the time you will just get a blank stare back!

Big shopping trips can be intimidating, I did one when I rented our house. I'm not sure where you are planning on doing it or what exactly you are buying but I hope you don't expect to get furniture on the same day as this can take a while! If you are in Fletcher your closest shopping area will probably be Stockland Glendale which is also where we bought the majority of the big items as well as Westfield Kotara and the shops opposite it.

In terms of the fruit size I've only noticed the size of the bananas, the rest of the fruit seems to be mostly the same as in JHB. We are still struggling to get used to the shops though. Aldi doesn't make sense, Coles is like PnP and Woolies is nothing like Woolies in RSA. The ready made salads which I tried went straight in the bin after the first few bites. We miss the RSA Woolies! Also there's no Woolies clothes so that's a bit wierd... we found David Jones which is what the normal woolies clothes in RSA are branded as but David Jones in AU is more like Stutafords in RSA so far from the same thing.

I think the bird life has something to do with amount of flies and my god are there a lot of them. our house like all other houses has screens on all the doors and windows and we still get flies getting in! At least there aren't many at the beach but if you go for a hike it can be a bit much. 

Edited by Rossen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rossen said:

In terms of the fruit size I've only noticed the size of the bananas, the rest of the fruit seems to be mostly the same as in JHB. We are still struggling to get used to the shops though. Aldi doesn't make sense, Coles is like PnP and Woolies is nothing like Woolies in RSA. The ready made salads which I tried went straight in the bin after the first few bites. We miss the RSA Woolies! Also there's no Woolies clothes so that's a bit wierd... we found David Jones which is what the normal woolies clothes in RSA are branded as but David Jones in AU is more like Stutafords in RSA so far from the same thing.

A bit off topic but Woolies here and Woolies in SA are in no way related. They share the same name due to both being started initially in the UK as the same company (I believe) but that's were it ends. 

Woolworths South Africa owns David Jones, Country Road and Trenery. Also I believe they are in the process of rolling out their food model into the David Jones stores (not 100% sure of this though)

• 6 months later...

Hi Gecko! I don't know if you'll see this now, 6 months later, but I'll post anyway. :) My partner came here from Johannesburg a year ago and has been wondering where the hell all these purported Saffas are! I think he's been secretly hanging out in the Saffer section of the International aisle at Woolies just hoping to hear a familiar accent and pounce on them! :D He's also been pining for boerworst as we can't seem to find any (we're in Maitland), so if you could tip us the nod there, he'd be forever in your debt!! :D

How have you been settling in? Whereabouts in SA did you come from? Any help you need, I can make myself contactable if you like. Cheers! Aussigirl.