Partner or Prospective Marriage Visa

fb93

Hi Guys,

My partner who resides in South Africa would like to make a move to Australia (I am an Australian Citizen),  some time in the next year or so. We have known each other from December 2017, met a few times and ever since then have maintained a long distance relationship. We are about to be engaged in January 2019, where we will meet again for about a month or so. 

My concerns are that we unfortunately cannot live together or share financial responsibilities etc as we are in a long distance relationship and from my research that is a very crucial part of the evidence in the Partner Visa Application. Do you think being able to prove ongoing communication and phone calls, social evidence (during our meetings in December 2017 and soon in December 2018/Jan 2019), our engagement party, bank statements that show gifts being sent throughout the year etc are enough evidence to suffice? Given that we cannot physically live together, hold assets together or have joint financial responsibilities?

On the other hand, I understand the prospective marriage visa is another option and believe they do not require the evidence relating to financial aspects etc. My only concern regarding this was that my partner and I wished to have our religious ceremony of marriage in South Africa where he resides (and myself originally). My question is, since the religious ceremony is not recognized as a legal marriage under Australian Law, would we still fulfill the requirements of not being 'legally married' in terms of the prospective visa? Where in, he will then come to Australia (given his Visa is granted) and we will get married under Australian Law within the 9 month time frame. 

I hope this makes sense, any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hello fb93,

Welcome to the forum.  There are a number of partner visa options available to you (both offshore and onshore) and there are pro's and con's to each (too many to list here). If you would like further detailed information you can contact me directly on the details below.

Regards