Holiday Visa for Nanny?

IzzyA

Hi all,

My (hopefully) to-be new employer is in the process of applying for a visa for myself.  I'm doing some investigation on what I need to do when I get there, but childcare is a big concern.

Having a look at the struggles people are having at finding childcare in Sydney (waiting lists etc), what are the options available to bring my nanny over on a holiday visa for a period of 3 months, while I find my feet and start a new job? I would obviously support her and pay her a salary, until I find space at a childcare facility. 

Is this at all possible?  

A person is not allowed to work while on a holiday visa so bringing your nanny over won't work out.  Rather look at family day care options or hire a nanny in Australia through an agency if you absolutely can't find suitable child care at a centre.

I’m afraid RYLC is correct and you could get into a lot of trouble for doing that. Maybe you could look into an AuPair type visa for her, not sure! 

Edited by Bonny

I think you'll have to look for a local AuPair because the visa they get is a Working Holiday visa which South Africans don't qualify for.  Only countries with reciprocal work rights and reciprocal public medical care can come to Australia on Working Holiday visas and there s also an age limit.  

Since you you are coming to a job, ask your employer for some pointers on what Childcare options other employees use so that you can book into the same place. 

• Like 1

There is unfortunately no way you can bring your nanny from South Africa.  If you know when you'll arrive, you can pre-arrange a nanny so you can hit the ground running.  Have a look at www.sittr.com  (or download their app) - they claim to be the nr # agency in Australia and vet their nannies personally. They do background checks, nannies must have a 1st aid certificate etc.  

Thanks so much for the info!  

I might have a week before starting work and was worried that it won't be enough time to get little one into childcare.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IzzyA said:

Thanks so much for the info!  

I might have a week before starting work and was worried that it won't be enough time to get little one into childcare.

Yes, it can be a bit of a problem if you do not pre-arrange it.  Many childcare centres have long waiting lists.  I'd suggest that as soon as you know when you'll arrive and where in Sydney you will live/work, that you get onto it and get it organised.  

There is a Facebook South-African mothers group where they're all very supportive and you can get some info about childcare and also there are a few mums who offer babysitting so it may be worth looking into.  Search on Facebook for "south African Mom in the Hills District (Sydney) NSW" although it says Hills district, mums allover Sydney are on it.  Also a good place to find a support system for those early days.  I'm sure other areas in Sydney will have similar groups.  

• Like 1