Bank Account

Doogle

Question

Hi Everyone

I too have been lurking for a while... but now look! here I am.

We are still very new in the process and only got notification for the receipt of our 143 application on the 20th of August this year.

Question

Because of the long wait ahead of us I would like to open a bank account and start building a nest egg for when the day finally arrives,  but what I see the banks seem to have no problem opening an account, however you have to personally activate this account within 12 months. Is this the only way? or are there other options one could explore without incurring massive costs

Edited by Doogle

2 answers to this question

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You need to submit a valid visa to be able to open a bank account from outside Australia so you'd have to wait until your visas are granted unfortunately.

I opened an account from SA with one of the Oz banks and transferred money over.  We could not withdraw any money before we physically appeared in a branch and waited about a week for the bank card to be mailed to us.  So you can open and transfer money from SA.  They did not ask any questions about visas.  However, I would be too worried to transfer a lot of money if the visa never gets granted, then what? 

• Like 1