Timing confusion - 189 EOI

Jelly

Hi all

Love this helpful forum!

I am just trying to wrap my head around the timing of certain things.

Once we receive our 189 EOI, when should we do the following:

• Obtain police clearances
  • Book medicals

I am wary of the fact that the above may expire before the visa outcome? Therefore, should we do the above before lodging, or wait a while before doing the above?

Thanks!

Jelly

Hi Jelly

I think this all depends on you. As you wrote above, they may expire before the visa is issued thereby necessitating you do it all again. Many people opt to submit everything upfront to try get a direct grant. I recently got my son's 101 child visa and I opted to wait for the case officer to request the medical however I did the PCC upfront since I was living overseas already and to try get SA PCC when you're not in SA is tricky. I was fortunate that the visa was granted 8 months after we submitted and therefore they were still valid.

I guess you could ask yourself how much would it irritate you if you had to do the PCC and medicals again should they expire. I realise it's not a trifle sum to pay for the medicals.

• Like 1

Hello Jelly,

I always advise my clients to wait till they have received an invitation to apply for the visa before arranging Police clearance and to wait until the visa application is submitted before arranging the Medicals.  This is because it normally only takes a couple of weeks to finalise the medicals and currently DHA are taking at least 3 to 4 months before they review an application.

Of course if you are wanting to get as long a lead time for the initial entry date then you should wait till DHA request the above.

I hope this helps.

Regards

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SD_MOA said:

Hello Jelly,

I always advise my clients to wait till they have received an invitation to apply for the visa before arranging Police clearance and to wait until the visa application is submitted before arranging the Medicals.  This is because it normally only takes a couple of weeks to finalise the medicals and currently DHA are taking at least 3 to 4 months before they review an application.

Of course if you are wanting to get as long a lead time for the initial entry date then you should wait till DHA request the above.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Thank you Stephen - this is very helpful.