VETASSESS Advice for N00b

Eva84

Hi everyone

I’ve been reading for a while and finally signed up this weekend!

I’ve read about a few people being assessed as underqualified but has anyone been assessed as overqualified? My husband’s occupation is not on any shortage lists. But 311413 “life science technician” is for South Australia IF he has 80 points (crossing fingers for a good IELTS score). DH has a PhD, has quite a senior title and has 12+ years experience in his field. What do you think are the chances of having him assessed as a tech? Is it as simple as getting his manager to sign off on a task list focused on DH’s technical skills and submitting a CV heavy on tech and omitting the rest of what he does? 

Has anyone here done anything similar?

This is the only occupation listed that is even vaguely linked to what he does, so it’s this or nothing. But I’d hate to spend all that money on VETASSESS if there’s a low or basically no chance of success. 

Thanks so much. 

ETA: And of course I post in the wrong forum. Meant to put this under questions. 🤦‍♀️

Edited by Eva84

Hi and welcome!

My recommendation is to look at what they consider 311413 “life science technician” to be, as in what is their specification for it.

Then draft a letter with the relevant dates and similar job descriptions as mentioned in the requirements gathered above, my employer actually took my wording and put it on a company letterhead. 

Then get his manager to sign it.  This can be multiple letters if he worked for different managers.

It goes without saying that there should be truth in those job descriptions, if he didn't do something don't claim that he did. 

Edited by ChrisH

9 hours ago, ChrisH said:

Hi and welcome!

My recommendation is to look at what they consider 311413 “life science technician” to be, as in what is their specification for it.

Then draft a letter with the relevant dates and similar job descriptions as mentioned in the requirements gathered above, my employer actually took my wording and put it on a company letterhead. 

Then get his manager to sign it.  This can be multiple letters if he worked for different managers.

It goes without saying that there should be truth in those job descriptions, if he didn't do something don't claim that he did. 

Thanks so much for this ChrisH!

No, absolutely. There's a huge technical component to what he does, but I'm afraid of overstating the tech and then having him assessed as a life scientist rather than a technician. Especially as his official title is "Senior Scientist". Scary. Especially as he is a few short months away from 45, so we have one shot at this. 

Let me see how creative I can be.

Will report back!