Accommodation In Hobart Area

March2

Hi 

We are relocating to Tassie in December and are looking for accommodation in the Hobart and surrounding areas.  We are a family of 4 adults, non-smokers and we have no pets.  We would like to secure an AirBnB or even a short term rental initially, until we know for sure where about in Tassie we will be settling.  Looking for any assistance in this regard.  We are happy to be in an AirBnB for a month if needs be, until we find our feet.  Something cost effective as we will be using our South African Rands initially, until we secure employment.  Please help.  We have been looking at the AirBnB site and short term rentals are almost impossible to find. TIA

11 hours ago, March2 said:

We have been looking at the AirBnB site and short term rentals are almost impossible to find.

I've just had a quick search on AirBnB and found about 20 listings for Hobart and surrounds. I clicked the "Entire Home" button so that you get privacy.

I had to guess at the dates so have a play around with the dates to see availability. December is popular so bear that in mind and book soon.

Click this link for HOBART

Thanks so much @RYLC, looking at 29 Dec-31 Jan.  Will have a look again at the link.  Much appreciated.

On 8/28/2018 at 2:25 AM, RYLC said:

I've just had a quick search on AirBnB and found about 20 listings for Hobart and surrounds. I clicked the "Entire Home" button so that you get privacy.

I had to guess at the dates so have a play around with the dates to see availability. December is popular so bear that in mind and book soon.

Click this link for HOBART

Hi @RYLC

Went through the AirBnB site again and although I had seen a reasonably priced accommodation when I looked through earlier, for some reason, I just scrolled down, but I always landed upon the same property....the Universe was speaking to me and I was not listening.  

Anyways, hubby and I went through it again last night and we decided to contact the host and settle on that one....guess what, the host is South African, he left RSA in 1958 and has been living in Tassie ever since, and went out of his way to make a special price for us...God Bless him.  So we have now ticked that box!  Thanks for "making" me look again at the HOBART link!

• Like 2

Small world @March2;)

Good luck with everything!  Please kindly let us know if you enjoy your stay at the South African host's accommodation you found.

We are hoping to follow in your footsteps next year in November :)  Fingers crossed:):)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Justyna said:

Small world @March2;)

Good luck with everything!  Please kindly let us know if you enjoy your stay at the South African host's accommodation you found.

We are hoping to follow in your footsteps next year in November :)  Fingers crossed:):)

Thanks!  Will do that @Justyna  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good you found accommodation. Hobart can be fully booked around those dates so it is good to book ahead. Hope it all goes well.

If you go to church then there is a lovely big C3 church in South Hobart you could have a look at and on the eastern shore Energiser church is apparently quite nice too. You will discover that lots of South Africans live in the Kingston area. I personally preferred to live closer to Hobart so we live near the Mount Stuart / New Town / Lenah Valley area. I hope you like it here. I personally am trying to leave Hobart because it is just too cold for me and I have been here over seven years now. It doesn't get much colder than South Africa, it's just that it stays cold constantly for longer. But lots of people love it here. Just make sure you get a reverse cycle air-conditioner (heat pump) for heating and you will probably enjoy it here. Hope it goes well.

Edited by Avatar

Hi @Avatar Thanks for the info.  

Are you planning on leaving Tassie altogether?  I am very much a spring/summer person myself, so I am not really looking forward to the winter.  Having said that though, recently I have been enjoying the cold weather here in Durbs, though a few may ask "what cold weather in Durban?"  We did however have a few days that required me layering up and keeping warm with heater etc.  I also don't know if it's my mindset that's making me suddenly adapt as I know what I am in for with Tassie winters.  Hubby normally picks on me saying that should a blade of grass move in the breeze, then I'm heading off to get a jersey!  He's pretty sure that I will be in for it.  Me on the other hand, as I said, mindset, am thinking hopefully by then, the hot flushes set in (pre-menopause!) and I will be ok with the cooler/cold weather😋

Hi. Yes, I am hoping to leave Tasmania for good and relocate to QLD. I thought QLD was too hot (we spent a few months there) but after Tasmania I think a few months of hot and a bit humid in summer and then warmish winters are better than 5 or 6 months of continuous cold weather here (generally from May onwards), though summer is lovely here. Winter can be nice when there aren't clouds and even though the temperature says it's 12, that can feel quite warm at times. But lots of people do like it here a lot. The year we got here, it snowed on the mountain on Christmas day so the weather can be variable at times, though that was an odd event. There are lots of restaurants and coffee shops and the mountain backdrop is always lovely. I didn't think weather would be such a problem for me, but maybe it is because I am getting older. I think when I am older I want to sit in a rocking chair outside in the sun and bake a bit...You need to see it and maybe you will like it, or maybe you won't. One often never knows until one gets somewhere...Just make sure you get good heating for winter and you will probably be okay then with the weather. I never wear much more than a jersey / jumper, maybe a long sleeve top underneath, if there's heating and if I need to go out and about and then back inside. Summer is a good time to arrive because it can be lovely then and it will give you time to ease into winter. Someone I knew arrived during one of the winters, and that turned out to be the coldest winter in 50 years...

Edited by Avatar
  • Thanks 1