Perth - What to take and what to leave

Ian Bernardo

Hi guys

My apologies for bringing up a topic that must have been flogged to death already

I will be moving to Perth in August. The big debate is what to bring with and what to leave:-

Can you please give me an indication if it is worth while to bring over electronic equipment like computers, TV, hi-fi or is it cheaper to buy new stuff in Australia.

What is the culture around the good old Venter trailer in Australia - Would it be of any value over there? In SA I used it to go on leave only. Since Perth is already "on the beach", I guess it would be useless. Or do I have it wrong?

Any input or "expensive learning experiences" on this topic will be highly appreciated

Thanks

Ian Bernardo

If you can, take your Venter, If you are taking a Container take as much as possiable.

A trailer similiar to a Venter costs about AU$4000 thats about R23000.00.

We are taking our trailer with. you have to get a permit prior to shipment, i have the forms if you need them.

Cheers

Camper

Edited by Camper

we took everything in a 20ft - whats worst case scenario - you gte over here and cant use it or it breaks - well just get rid of it then. Nothing worse than getting here and you regret leaving something behind.

If you can afford it - take the lot.

It is easier enough to take adaptors for the electrical and white good items - also easy to change a plug when you get here - replace S.A. plug with Aussie one - Cant do this with plugs that have a transformer of somekind like your pc - you would need to tak it to a professional to change. If your stuff is pretty new - say 3-5yrs old - take it. I would not go out and buy stuff to bring over because warranties very often can be country specific and it is hard to send a fridge back for repair and also the brands in S.A. are not always the same here in Aus, so can be difficult to get parts.

Rgds

matman

Guest Lara

We've gotten around that by bringing lots of extension boards with us.

Cant do this with plugs that have a transformer of somekind like your pc - you would need to tak it to a professional to change.

SA to Aus adapters can be found at many Miter 10 and Dick Smith Electronic stores. I had to but an adapter for my mobile phone’s charger. It was about $12.

If you bring appliances make sure that you can buy a couple of adapters for those non-rewire able appliances.

Kind regards

Fred