What to bring across?

Sabrin

A couple of questions:

1. Do you just have to change the plugs on your appliances once you get here and if so, we've heard you need to have an electrician do that (you're not allowed to do it yourself). Or just use sa-chinese adaptor.

2. Is there anything in particular recommended to rather take over instead of buying there? We heard beds and linen are expensive.

3. Has anyone made use of a container share as we have fairly little we want to move ourselves.

Here are my answers to your questions.

I also think there is no right or wrong answer, and in the end none of it really matters.  Moving to the other end of the world is so life changing, whether you did or did not bring something is a bit irrelevant. 

1.  Plugs.  We changed some plugs on appliances ourselves.  It probably does not meet some requirement somewhere.  We also brought some multiplugs and just changed the plug on the multiplug.  That means you can plug lots of South African appliances in without changing their plugs.  Now that we have been here a while and started buying Australian appliances, it is a bit annoying that some plugs can only be plugged in some places and not in others.  I wish I had a few more of those adaptors. 

2.  Not really.  You can get cheap furniture here.  Linen is only expensive here because it is fairly good quality.  I have a thing for good linen (it is a serious vice). Good linen (high thread count)  is much more available here and the prices are similar as to in South Africa.  Good linen is not cheap.  You dont really get the cheap sandpapery linen you can buy at Mr Price etc here.   So buy expensive good linen here and change the way you sleep for ever.

3.  We had a shared container and it was great.  We only paid for what we took and could decide up to the last minute what to bring and what to leave.  We did not have to make what we want to bring fit into a specific size.  The only downside is that you wait until the container is filled before it is shipped, so it takes longer than your own container.  We were told they are quite busy and it would ship quickly, but our container only left 6 or so weeks after we did.  I think speed is the only advantage of having your own container.

• Like 1

Well, first things.. Mr Price is in Australia too. So if you really absolutely have to, you can go there and buy the same sheets that you can buy in RSA. But don't, good sheets just feel so much better and last way longer.

We changed all our plugs ourselves. I don't know if they meet all requirements? But I am 100% that any plug that I've changed will not start a fire or short out anything, so I really don't care. It all works fine.

No idea about shared containers, we filled a small one ourselves.

We shipped a Venter trailer. It was a lot cheaper than buying one here, and you can still choose customisations. The Australians do not have anything like a Venter. They have open 'crate style' trailers of all sizes, and very small Thule trailers, and roof racks! They put everything on the roof! I can't really think of anything else that we had to bring over, but I'm sure other people will chip in with other things ;) 

Be careful with the multiplug thing. Your south African multiplug is only SABS certified and not Australian certified. 

If your multiplug was ever involved in a house fire your insurance will not pay out. They are great in the beginning, but my recommendation is to change all your plugs to aussie plugs as you go along. 

6 hours ago, ChrisH said:

Be careful with the multiplug thing. Your south African multiplug is only SABS certified and not Australian certified. 

If your multiplug was ever involved in a house fire your insurance will not pay out. They are great in the beginning, but my recommendation is to change all your plugs to aussie plugs as you go along. 

Do you do this yourself or can only a qualified electrician do this?

18 hours ago, FromDurbs said:

Here are my answers to your questions.

I also think there is no right or wrong answer, and in the end none of it really matters.  Moving to the other end of the world is so life changing, whether you did or did not bring something is a bit irrelevant. 

1.  Plugs.  We changed some plugs on appliances ourselves.  It probably does not meet some requirement somewhere.  We also brought some multiplugs and just changed the plug on the multiplug.  That means you can plug lots of South African appliances in without changing their plugs.  Now that we have been here a while and started buying Australian appliances, it is a bit annoying that some plugs can only be plugged in some places and not in others.  I wish I had a few more of those adaptors. 

2.  Not really.  You can get cheap furniture here.  Linen is only expensive here because it is fairly good quality.  I have a thing for good linen (it is a serious vice). Good linen (high thread count)  is much more available here and the prices are similar as to in South Africa.  Good linen is not cheap.  You dont really get the cheap sandpapery linen you can buy at Mr Price etc here.   So buy expensive good linen here and change the way you sleep for ever.

3.  We had a shared container and it was great.  We only paid for what we took and could decide up to the last minute what to bring and what to leave.  We did not have to make what we want to bring fit into a specific size.  The only downside is that you wait until the container is filled before it is shipped, so it takes longer than your own container.  We were told they are quite busy and it would ship quickly, but our container only left 6 or so weeks after we did.  I think speed is the only advantage of having your own container.

Thanks for this. Yes, we've heard about linen costs. If I may ask, who did you use to ship?

16 hours ago, Sabrin said:

Do you do this yourself or can only a qualified electrician do this?

I think a sparkie has to do it, luckily my mate we stayed at in our first month is one!

• 1 month later...

@ChrisH can you put me in touch with your buddy - my husband wants to change the plugs and he's more than capable but we both agree it's totally not worth the risk should there be an electrical fire and then insurance doesn't pay out. Can we change the plugs and get the electrician to check it's all kosher or do they have to change them all?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 7:25 AM, ChrisH said:

I think a sparkie has to do it, luckily my mate we stayed at in our first month is one!

Chris,

Are those cords he replaced “tagged & tested” as in have the tagged and tested sticker on them?  If not do you have a certificate for the work, ie something to prove that you didn’t do the work?

Just wondering because I did all ours and how would anyone know the difference?

3 hours ago, bushlovers said:

Chris,

Are those cords he replaced “tagged & tested” as in have the tagged and tested sticker on them?  If not do you have a certificate for the work, ie something to prove that you didn’t do the work?

Just wondering because I did all ours and how would anyone know the difference?

Yup, I'm wondering the same thing.

I just had my plugs changed and I have the invoice as proof of what exactly was changed. 

2 hours ago, TamTam said:

I just had my plugs changed and I have the invoice as proof of what exactly was changed. 

Mine “got burnt in the fire” 😉- just saying....

9 hours ago, bushlovers said:

Mine “got burnt in the fire” 😉- just saying....

Nothing to prove he did it other than him saying he did them.  If the evidence is destroyed they would probably expect you to get a sparky to vouch that he did it.  

This is IMHO one of those unpolicable laws.  If you’re not comfortable with wiring of course get a professional to change your plugs.  

I changed all ours, my work is indistinguishable from a sparkys.  The chances of a fire originating in the plug are minuscule if the plug is properly maintained.  Hence my question of tested and tagged, and the WPHS requirement for it.  

We moved here 4 years ago for instance, could a sparky who had changed my plugs four years ago be held liable for the plug now? In ten years?  

Im not criticizing anybody’s choice, just putting a counter argument out there for what is in my opinion something that is over hyped by Saffer immigrants.

On 6/16/2018 at 10:10 PM, RedPanda said:

Well, first things.. Mr Price is in Australia too. 

No way! 😲 Where?  Tell me now, I'm on my way! 😁

• Haha 1

Bring a few multiplugs so you could plug several of your RSA electronics in and only change one plug.  

Over time you can change the plugs if you need to. You buy the plugs at Bunnings - just don't buy a box of 50 at a time - some people have been asked if they're qualified electricians (nanny state...) but there is no law that says you cannot change a plug yourself.

Don't waste money on adapters unless you'll need to use/charge something away from home - like a hair dryer for instance when you go for a cheeky weekend away. So just buy one for that. (Or change the plug)

Bring anything sentimental.  Bring the furniture you love. If any of your electronics and white good are on its last legs, just leave it.  Anything you haven't used for the last 12 months, leave it. If it's showing wear & tear, like linen beginning to fade etc. leave it. Only take what you can't be without or that would cost you a fortune to replace. If it's almost new and you use it, take it. Don't bother with curtains & stuff - most homes have blinds and if you rent, there must be either blinds or curtains provided, so until you buy your own home you won't need them and they'll probably not fit on the windows as they're all shapes and sizes and not your typical South African suburban window. Pots, pans all that stuff, bring it. 

Hope this helps ☺️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Riekie said:

but there is no law that says you cannot change a plug yourself.

I think the Electrical Safety Act of 2002 covers the illegality of DIY electrical work.

I just don't think it's worth the risk if anything were to happen and the injury to loved ones (although unlikely, let's be honest it's really easy to change a plug) or even the slightest shred of doubt from an insurance company as to whether DIY work was involved. But this is really a case of each to his own.

On 8/30/2018 at 2:03 PM, Riekie said:

No way! 😲 Where?  Tell me now, I'm on my way! 😁

Yup, for a year or two now already. I don't know where your nearest one would be, but I think Google is your friend in this instance :lol:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RedPanda said:

Yup, for a year or two now already. I don't know where your nearest one would be, but I think Google is your friend in this instance :lol:

Only 3 stores in Australia it seems - all three in Victoria.  So, a bit far for me... 😅 I can shop online but I like to see and feel stuff like clothing before I buy.  Anyone who can give an honest review on quality?

• Haha 1

Yeah I would also like someones views on the quality - Mr P is great for basics.

I remember looking online when Mr P first opened here and I thought their prices were really expensive compared to RSA prices (we had visited not long before) so buying new Mr P there would probably be cheaper if you are bringing a container anyway.  I think Mr Price has really nice stuff and would love to be able to fill a few trolleys ;) 

Sorry, I didn't realise it was a local thing. I also haven't been inside one for some time. My husband entered one a while ago and his face lit up with a silly grin: "It smells like South Africa"
But apart form that, I couldn't tell you.