Helping new arrivals: Comparing Cities and Suburbs with equivalant in South Africa

Ulrich_W

Hi everyone,

This is a an idea of mine that I have been toying with for some time:

Essentially I will be heading to Brisbane in two days, and eventually (after renting for say 6 months) I would like to purchase property.

I do not know the cities in Australia

I do not know the suburbs

I do not know the weather

I do not know the scenery

I do have some knowledge of some cities / suburbs in South Africa - and if we can build a long list of "parallels" / "just like" locations then someone like me can probably quickly find at least a starting point for what they are looking for.

By example - and this is JUST FOR ILLUSTRATION and based on my pure uninformed guess - I believe Brisbane has something like the Durban laid back vibe and weather...

Just to stir debate a little!!! - and maybe start a "just like" list: My take, based on internet research and PURE guesses - so please do not put any value on my comments!

SAMPLE "JUST LIKE" LIST:

-Brisbane is "just like" Durban, but 8km from the coast and on a river

-Perth is "just like" ??? Port Elizabeth, but grown up???

-Sydney is "just like" ??? JHB's energy, but next to the sea and clean???

-Canberra is "just like" ???

-Adelaide is "just like" ???

-Melbourne is ""just like" ???Cape Town without the mountain and wind, more rain though???

Now if someone can just let me know which suburb in Brisbane is "just like" Hillcrest / Kloof then I can go and buy property tomorrow!!!

Let me know what you think of the idea?

Kind regards

Ulrich

Hi Ulrich

Congratulations on your visa it's like winning the lottery and Good luck with your move.

We live on the North side of the Brisbane river. Renting a lovely little Queenslander for the past 5 months. The desition to rent here was made because it's just 10 minutes from where my husband works.

I must admit that I have not been reminded of Dbn on this side but did get that feeling while visiting the Gold Coast. Anything up from Surfers Paradise. That is however too far from Brisbane as the traffic can get pretty hair raising.

I found the housing situation very different from in SA, the stands are very small and getting smaller. They also build like the Americans with wood in stead of bricks and mortar.

The immages on the net can be misleading however there are many places to consider, if you have the money. As always lots a money buys more convenience etc etc.

So, all depends on where you'r going to work. As to where you'r going to live.

Will be happy to help you.

Regards

Nilo

PS Are you living in Aussie as I see you have a 457 or arriving on the PR

PS Are you living in Aussie as I see you have a 457 or arriving on the PR

Hi Nilo

We received BOTH visa types, with the 457 being sponsored by Ronel's future employer and the 136 our own effort, but only GRANTED after 457 was in our passports in RSA and initial flight booked!

We moved our flight back to enable us to evidence the 136 in our passports (2% less tax, medical benefits etc.) - Our 457's have thus been cancelled with the PR 136 taking precendence. (interestingly enough our agent suggested to fly on the 457 as the 136 can be inserted once you are in the country - as it was GRANTED whilst we where offshore!) - We did not believe this and wanted to ensure we have the right paperwork from the start - and did not relish a trip to NZ to get the 136 evidenced if the agent was wrong!!!

Regards

Ulrich

Edited by Ulrich_W

• 1 month later...

Hi Ulrich

I'm new to this forum but seeing as I'm a Durban girl living in Brisbane thought I'd add my two cents worth! Brisbane reminds us a lot of Durban, and the Sunshine Coast (north) a lot of the natal north coast. We're in Bracken Ridge on the north side, which is a bit like Morningside. Its only 7km from the seafront at Sandgate and Shornecliffe, great place to go walking/cycling but not quite Umhlanga!! If you're looking for a Kloof/Hillcrest kind of vibe, Eatons Hill feels like that to me. Some lovely old (but restored) queenslander homes in a very hilly and leafy suburb. We've been to Chapel Hill once and it also seemed like that, although quite expensive.

Good luck!

Clare

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

We're on our way to Gladstone QLD. Can any one tell us what it's like. We come from West Rand Gauteng. Hope it's a lot like St Lucia (weather wise) were we spend every available long weekend and holiday. Going To st Lucia again 9-13 Aug. Most probably the last time. How sad it really is to leave this beautiful country.(excludes hassels, crime ect..)

Should be in Gladstone by September 2007

Debra

Hello All

We're finally in Australia! :blink: Lost baggage and all:( We arrived in Brisbane on the 21st of July and enjoyed the warm weather for a week, then we moved on to the chilly, very chilly Melbourne, and I simply love this place, kinda reminds me of Cape Town and Port Elizabeth with a dash of Seattle. We'll be here in Melbourne for about 3 months, then we're moving up to Townsville...

Can anybody shed some light on Townsville for us? Weatherwise, but most important thing for us, what kind of Internet connections are available there? And how many fellow South Africans can we expect to find there?

Thanks!

How's Toowoomba? Anyone staying there, hubby has his eye on a post there....

Hi Ulrich,

We're also in Brisbane - arrived about 3 weeks ago.

After some frantic suburb shopping, we settled on the Bulimba/Hawthorne area. It's on the northern tip of the South side of the river close to the city, opposite to New Farm, etc. Very nice, very trendy, very pro family living. You can take the ferry to the city (if you work there, like me).

Funny thing is, we used the Net (especially OurBrisbane) to look for suburbs and found quite a number of places we thought looked really nice, but we accidentally stumbled onto this little gem of an area.

Highly reccomended!

Hey Guys - Thunder I agree with you Bulimba /Hawthorne is very very cool and trendy but I fear would be out of the budget range for most Saffers immigrating - especially to buy! If you can afford it go for it though - I would! (just do a search on www.realestate.com.au and see for yourselves)

Ulrich just the other day I visited our friends who have settled in a place which reminded me of Hilcrest /Kloof but it is about 90kms up (north) the Bruce highway in the Sunshine coast. Is is the suburb of Buderim, very hilly with that country/cottagey/villagy feel to it. Very nice. The only difference is that it is right next to the ocean with some ocean views (just sits behind the beachside towns/cities of Maroochydore and Mooloolaba. Kinda like where Umhlanga is in relation to the ocean. So take Hillcrest and put it in Umhlanga and you get Buderim - well almost! Check it out for yourself- it might be an option if you get a job in that area or to the north of Brisbane.

Hope this helps

Cbug

Hi to all

Well we arrived on Saturday 11th, and is now looking for a place to stay , Rent.

We drove through the north side, Duncraig, Mindarie,Kinross,Hillarys ( expensive), etc... and not bad,

but the rental prices can get very high.

Does anyone know how the schools and places are in Rockingham, and south of the river, Murdoch , Munster.

Your help will be greatfull.

Regards

Jan

Hallo Jan,

Can not help you with info on Rockhampton, but would welcome your impressions as we are heading that way in March 08.

Good luck.

Jan waar in Australie is al hierdie voorstede? Watter stad?

C'bug

Hi to all

Well we arrived on Saturday 11th, and is now looking for a place to stay , Rent.

We drove through the north side, Duncraig, Mindarie,Kinross,Hillarys ( expensive), etc... and not bad,

but the rental prices can get very high.

Does anyone know how the schools and places are in Rockingham, and south of the river, Murdoch , Munster.

Your help will be greatfull.

Regards

Jan

Wannabee en Chatterburg

Dit is suid van Perth en Fremantel so 40 km vanaf Perth. Op fotos lyk dit nogal nice asook die huise op die realestate.com.au website .

Die probleem is as jy werk in die Noorde van die Rivier dan het jy 'n probleem om daar uit te kom.

Was vandag in Duncraig,Kinross,Karrynup ens. Baie mooi, by die see .

As ek na Rockhampton toe gaan sal ek weer terugvoering gee.

groete vir nou

Jan

How's Toowoomba? Anyone staying there, hubby has his eye on a post there....

Only been to Toowoomba twice for kids hockey games - its quite a drive from the Gold Coast - and its a quaint little town on the top of a hill - it looked nice - the area where we had the hockey was industrial and they had a show day which was a little countryish... I think there are a few SAfricans teaching there..

Heather

Hallo Jan,

Can not help you with info on Rockhampton, but would welcome your impressions as we are heading that way in March 08.

Good luck.

Rockhampton ...now what can I tell you....hmmmm its a one horse town with a main road with big statues of cows... it has a magnificent river and really good schools Rockhampton school has a fantastic rowing team and boarding school and a beautiful building. The people were really nice but you will need to be choosey about the area you buy in - apparently the area around Rochampton grammar school is the upmarket area. Its a real farming town, but funny enough I actually didnt mind it - but was only there for a weekend of rowing.

let me know if you want more info and I will try and find out more for you.

Ulrich

I believe Kenmore is a bit like Kloof - also if you were looking on the Gold Cast then Tallai is just like Kloof area (was from Winston Park so know the area) - just with no mist. Sanctuary Cove and Hope Island I would say is like Mt Edgecombe in a way.

heather