Police clearance side swipe

DigiGander

So we lodged our 489 for Tasmania on Friday 25 May, paid the huge fee and now have to get all our clearances sorted out. 

Most of it is easy enough, except the police clearance we have to obtain from Uganda, which is where we lived for more than 12 months in the past 10 years. Oh dear!!!

Where to start? According to some reading I did, we can approach the Uganda high commission, but I was wondering if anyone has actually gone through a similar process before, excluding South Africa.

Insight, advice or any other tip will be greatly appreciated!

I know this is a bit of an odd suggestion, but why not try and contact Interpol. Also just found this "how to" on a Canadian site. Yeah I realise it's for Canada but I would assume that the visa application process would be fairly similar when it comes to police checks and medicals, being a commonwealth country and all.

How ro get a police clearance for Uganda

Edited by HadEnoughofJuju

On 5/26/2018 at 6:34 PM, HadEnoughofJuju said:

I know this is a bit of an odd suggestion, but why not try and contact Interpol. Also just found this "how to" on a Canadian site. Yeah I realise it's for Canada but I would assume that the visa application process would be fairly similar when it comes to police checks and medicals, being a commonwealth country and all.

How ro get a police clearance for Uganda

Thanks,

I saw that too, however the process I received from my agent is different. I also can't get hold of the consulate in SA, so it is a bit frustrating. At this point, we just have to push on and get it done. If anyone has had the same experience, please let me know. I am open to suggestions. 

Here's the really old school way to get it: 

Non-residents

Family or friends living in Uganda can apply on your behalf.

You will need to provide all of the documents listed below and pay the required fee through your family

or friends or through a bank cheque. You will then need to courier or post the application to Interpol

(and include a prepaid, self-addressed return courier voucher).

Documents

 a certified copy of your Identity document – foreign nationals are required to provide their

passport bio-data page

 fingerprints - If you are living outside Uganda, you need to provide certified original fingerprints

taken at a police station in your current place of residence

 two passport size photos (in colour)

 a letter of introduction – explaining why the police certificate is being requested

 certified copies of visa/permits showing the period of legal residence in Uganda

 a letter from your employer if you are a foreign nationals who lived in Uganda. The letter

should advise who you are, what type of work you did, and where you lived in Uganda.

 application fee

 if you have spent only a short period of time in Uganda you will need to provide a police

certificate from your home country or country of current residence.

Fees

 Ugs48 000 payable to a nominated bank.

 Ugs3 000 payable to Interpol when the police certificate is collected.

• 3 months later...
On 5/27/2018 at 12:32 AM, DigiGander said:

...... except the police clearance we have to obtain from Uganda, which is where we lived for more than 12 months in the past 10 years. Oh dear!!!

Where to start? According to some reading I did, we can approach the Uganda high commission, but I was wondering if anyone has actually gone through a similar process before, excluding South Africa.

Insight, advice or any other tip will be greatly appreciated!

I could be of assistance should you not have got it already. 
cheers

7 hours ago, Gya said:

I could be of assistance should you not have got it already. 
cheers

Thank you very much, I managed to make direct contact through a contact of ours in Uganda and she referred me to the right people at Interpol and they managed to assist me with it. So interesting, I actually received my Uganda Police clearance before my wife received her South African one. 

I do appreciate the offer of assistance.

• Like 3