SkillSelect 189 Invitations 09 May 2018

SkillSelect 189 Invitations published for 09 May 2018.
For ALL occupations NOT in the table see text below
189 Invitations
300 invitations were issued for the 189 visa to EOIs with 75+ points (EOI date of effect prior to 5/5/2018).
489 (Family Sponsored)
5 invitations were issued for the 489 visa to EOIs with 80+ points (EOI date of effect prior to 05/03/2018)

The table below provides the Points required for occupations that is issued on a ProRata basis (NOTE: All non-ProRata occupations NOT in this the table were issued as above.

Points.jpg

Hi TeeTMI.

I’m not too familiar with the SkillSelect process but could I ask if there’s a reason why the number of invitations are being decreased? Is it linked to the time of year or is it a general policy shift?

We’ve completed skills and language assessments (ANZSCO 233211) and have 65 points. We could either submit an EOI as is or I could attempt IELTS again. I missed an overall 8 band by scoring 7.5 for speaking 🤦🏽‍♀️

Hi there @pb111

I'm sure that TeeTMI could give you a better answer but I think that the back log of visa applications has caused the decrease in invites. I don't see it going up any time soon, and i don't see anyone with 65 points getting an invite soon, especially because the haven't touched people with 70 points in months. So they will have to go through all those EOIS before they touch the 65 point pile.

My husband was in the exact same situation as you regarding points/IELTS

My advice would be to try the Pearsons English test - it's not easier per-say, but I personally believe you are more likely to get a superior score with this test. At least that was the case with my hubby. Plus - booking and processing times for this test are MUCH faster than IELTS. 

Goodluck

• Like 1

I'm sure I read somewhere that this is the first time they will not be utilising the full emigration allowance for the year.  They know that they only have to take in the cream of the crop.

I've been saying this for years, but grab any opportunity to get into your country of choice with both hands and run with it because it gets harder every year.

• Thanks 1

Part of the issue with the points increase for the 189 visa is that as of July last year there was a new stream added to the 189 visa for NZ citizens - these visas will also come out of the quota for the skilled independent visas.  In addition the significant changes to the employer nominated options saw an increased number of people here on temporary visas need to find an alternative option. 

So the above means there has been a significant increase in competition for the 189 this year.  I did have the figures for the NZ 189's (on our facebook page) but cannot remember the number off the top of my head - however it may be that they reach the quota, even though it appears otherwise at the moment.

At the same time I have been following some discussions in Senate and it appears that the wording around the yearly migration quotas may have changed slightly in them being discussed not as targets to be reached - but as caps - which may or may not be reached.

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the clarity everyone. I better get working on achieving those additional points quickly 🤔🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @TeeTMI,

I understand that the above required points table is for the 189 Visa. Do you perhaps know that points required for the 190 Visa? (Occupation ID and description: 2339 other engineering professionals).

Thanks in advance. 

10 hours ago, Basil1 said:

Hi @TeeTMI,

I understand that the above required points table is for the 189 Visa. Do you perhaps know that points required for the 190 Visa? (Occupation ID and description: 2339 other engineering professionals).

Thanks in advance. 

60 points are required for the 190  visa.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TeeTMI said:

60 points are required for the 190  visa.

Thank you for the confirmation (and super quick response!) 

Regards.

From 1 July 2018 the points requirement has increased to 65 for Expression of Interest
This will impact the following visas: 189, 190 and 489

• Thanks 1