What next

My nephew is currently here on holiday and returns in 6 weeks time. He completed Matric last year and would really love to come live here. I could only get a holiday visa with no extension or anything else. RSA don't get the option of working holiday visas. He will be going home and we are starting to plan his next trip already.  He really wants to become a teacher. He already has a part-time job in a bottle store when he returns. What options or avenues have we to get him permanently back over.

TIA

It is very hard to predict what visa options/occupations will or will not be available into the future.

Within the skilled visas Teacher is an occupation that has been on the occupations list for a long time.  If he really wants to teach anyway then he might look at becoming qualified in that subject and checking which level/stage of teaching provides him with the best visa options (e.g. re MLTSSL / STOL lists) once he gets to that stage.   

Can't he come over on a student visa and study teaching in Aus? He'll probably have to pay foreign student fees - which are about double, I think - and, from what i understand, he'll be allowed to work up to 20 hours per week in a part-time job.

A student visa could be a good option for him.  It is quite an expensive exercise though and there is no guarantee of permanent residency at the end of the process.  But at the very least he would end up with an Australian degree which is highly regarded around the world.  You are allowed to work 40 hours per fortnight during term and full time in holidays.

It is important to ensure you choose the correct course of study as even within the teaching profession there are some areas that are better than others for migration (currently pre-primary and secondary teaching are good options).

I hope this helps.

Regards