IELTS vs Pearsons

IlzedP

Hi there, the questions have most probably been asked before so please bare with me. 

I need to get 8s for my English General however I have failed to achieve this twice with IELTS. 

1. Do I have a better chance with Pearsons?

2. Can one only do Pearsons Academic or is there a General exam one can take?

Thank you in advance. 

Pearson's is generally considered to be easier as its scored by a computer instead of a person. This removes any bias that might exist. You can also get a booking to write your test a lot faster than with IELTS and the results are released within a few days. Both my wife and I passed it the first time around and received our scores within a day. My wife's speaking score was low though which we believe is because she didn't have the microphone positioned properly which can cause the sound being recorded to distort.

If you do decide to go for the Pearsons test make sure you do some preparation so that you understand what is required. e2language has some very good videos on their YouTube channel.

In terms of which test to do only the Academic one is accepted for immigration purposes.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Hi

I wrote both. First I did the IELTS test and received 8 for listening, 8 for reading, 8.5 for speaking and 7 for writing. 

I then did the PTE because I also needed the highest band for English. I got 90 for all bands. 

PTE is the better option for a number of reasons:

1 - Appointments are throughout the week, therefore a lot quicker to book. I had to wait a month for an IELTS appointment, compared to 3 days for PTE.

2 - Results are released quicker (2 days) compared to two weeks for IELTS.

3- PTE is cheaper. 

I must say, the PTE was more intense and the room was noisy because people are speaking right next to you, but the result was a lot better. 

You also receive your results online and do not have to drive to the British Council to fetch results. 

Edited by Ty11