489 regional sponsored visa

Lili0905

Our Expression of interest has been approved and we can now apply for 489 regional sponsored visas. 

Anyone else who entered Aus on this visa? I'd like to know the max timeframe one gets before having to enter Aus on this visa. Also, any other advise on this visa type's requirements? I believe we'll have to live and work in the region of placement for four years. What then? Will we be able to apply for permanent residency?

Also...what are the chances of finding work BEFORE we leave SA? I'm an English teacher and my hubby works in the golf industry. Any reliable recruitment companies I can contact beforehand?

Upon approval of our visas, we'll be placed in NSW northern inland. I've googled the area somewhat...but it's all so overwhelming...don't really know what to look for or where we'll have to get started. I figure if at least ONE of us gets a job, it'll go easier to determine where we'll live etc.

Any advice will be much appreciated. 😀

Hello @Lili0905,

We are currently in Adelaide on a 489 visa, we emigrated 4 months ago.  If you search 489 visa on the forum, you will find our story in the journals section.

Albeit not the most ideal visa, it certainly is good enough - PR being the ideal, in my view.

I am not an agent, but from my limited knowledge, I can share the following:

• Your visa conditions will tell you that you will have to live in a regional or low population growth area - this condition you have to comply with.  To this end, you will not be permitted to live in any "big cities" except for Adelaide, Darwin and Hobart.  You can check the Home Affairs website for a list of post codes where you can stay on this visa type.
  • Once you achieve 2 years of living and 1 year of full time employment in one of these areas, you can apply for permanent residence, under the visa type 887.  You may not, however, move out of these stipulated areas until the 887 permanent residence visa is granted.
  • During the period you are on a 489, you are not entitled to benefits such as free schooling, local uni fees and medicare - but once the 887 is granted, you will qualify for these.  Having said that, some states do make exceptions for 489 visa holders for school fees - you can email the education department to find out if NSW does offer this if this is something you need to know about.
  • From what I understand, the 887 is pretty much just submitting evidence like payslips, time-cards, rental agreements, utility bills to prove you accumulated the required living and working time.  No further skills assessments, etc. and you don't have to have worked in the occupation that your visa was granted for, and it could at that point be either you or your partner; the main applicant for the 489 does not have to be the main applicant for the 887.  Check out the Home Affairs webpage on 887 visas for more information.

I am not able to comment on jobs in that area or in your field, but we haven't struggled to keep ourselves employed, both landing here without jobs, and both finding employment within relatively short periods of time....

• Like 1

One thing - be VERY, VERY careful that you live in a postcode you are allowed to live in.

A few years ago, there was talk on this forum about a Pommie family in Queensland, who resided 2 or 3 postcodes away from an allowable postcode and once the Immigration people found out, they were sent packing back to the UK - great sobbing in the UK papers, with pictures of heartbroken mothers, fathers, partners, children, pets, all sobbing and saying how stupid it was, but they were OUT.

Thank you for your very helpful replies  @MichKen and @OubaasDik. Much appreciated. Yes, it's not very ideal that we won't qualify for medical, education etc. but we'll take what we can get. It's just always a bit more reassuring when you know there's someone out there that's gone through the same process and made it work. Thanks again 😀

23 minutes ago, Lili0905 said:

Thank you for your very helpful replies  @MichKen and @OubaasDik. Much appreciated. Yes, it's not very ideal that we won't qualify for medical, education etc. but we'll take what we can get. It's just always a bit more reassuring when you know there's someone out there that's gone through the same process and made it work. Thanks again 😀

Well, I came on a 457, and there was no permanent residence in sight, at the time .... I still wonder at the strange combination of events that conspired to get us PR and Citizenship.

Sterkte ...

• Like 1