NSW license conversion

Tntaglia

We converted our drivers licenses yesterday at the service centre in Macquarie centre. Some advice for everyone who still has to do it:

1. There was no way we could do it without the official letter stating that our licenses were valid. We had ours (thanks to this forum, otherwise we would not have known about it!) There is some anecdotal evidence that not every service centre asks for it but it was really easy to get when were still in SA.

2. You get asked what duration of license you want - 1, 3, 5 or 10 years. Longer is more expensive but obviously you save yourself going back sooner.

3. You need to prove identity and passport alone is not enough. They want a second ID with your full name and signature on it. I had luckily just collected my bank card from the bank so they accepted that, hubby had to print a bank statement from his SA account which took more time. But it was all done in the end.

So my recommendation is to have the letter and ID ready and take it from there.

The only downside is that  got our license in VIC for 10 years (very positive about staying) and then 2 years alter moved to QLD. Turned up there to get our new QLD silence and they confiscated the VIC one, as you can only have one license at a time. Obvious really, because it is considered a proof of address. But then we lost the 8 years left on the license. :unsure:

They gave us some sort of form to claim the money back from VIC, but it couldnt be done online (at that time) and I have not been back to VIC since! So lost the money...