Cape Town city equivalent in Aus!

john-gill

I miss Cape Town terribly! :unsure: The lifestyle, and yes, the mountains!! I'm not from Cape Town originally, but I've always found what I need in being able to drive for a little way and being able to do day hikes up the most exquisite mountains and get away from it all. :ilikeit:

We're currently in Melbourne, and while Melbourne is great, we don't have a similar outdoor lifestyle to what we did in Cape Town. As in lots of walking (with a minimum of preparation / HOURS of driving) in the mountains, drives out to picturesque vineyards nestled under statuesque mountain ranges (although there are decent vineyards around Melbourne, obviously!) lots of picnics at beaches and playing in rock pools.....Melbourne just doesn't give me quite what I need (and I could wax lyrical about what Cape Town gave me that I'm looking for in Aus, other than the usual security etc).

I'd love to hear other people's views on what places in Aus are similar to Cape Town in lifestyle. But while keeping in mind we'd be looking for a place which would have plenty of job choice (I'm in marketing, my husband is in sound engineering) - so a bigger city with lots of events etc and marketing activity.

Any ideas out there?

Hi Jill

I can't tell you about the other states sorry but have you thought about Perth. Lots of events happening here but you have so many beautiful places all around to go to, near and far.

maybe you should have alook at this site...it has all the states.

http://www.about-australia.com/

Really hope you find something :ilikeit:

Lindy-Lee

:unsure:

Hi guys

Sure there will be many that disagree, but I'd say Sydney. When we were looking around we were looking for exactly the same things as yourselves in terms of careers (we're both Graphic Designers - so similar industries) along with the Cape Town feel, we seemed to come closest to that all in Sydney.

But... We've never been to Perth or Adelaide (in terms of big cities), so it would be interesting to hear some other viewpoints.

Norm

Edited by Norm

We often think of Adelaide as Cape-Town-without-Table Mountain, however that is just my wife and I's mindset.

However, adelaide has much in common with Cape town, e.g. weather, vineyards, 'fynbos' type of shruberry, beaches,etc.

The Gulf of st Vincent is adjacent to the Adelaide metro. Stitch about 10 False bays together, and you have The gulf of st Vincent.

Actually, you should reallyvisit Adelaide yourself to make up your mind.

Cheers,

dax

I can't tell you about the other states sorry

Norm & Dax

thanx so much for your replies even if I didn't ask the question. I only know Perth (or rather some of it :) ) and I have no idea about the other cities, so it is nice to hear about them too. For instance Norm I never would have thought Sydney but you are never to old to learn.

Who knows this might come in handy if we ever go on holiday that side of Aus.

Thanx guys ;)

Lindy-Lee

;)

Sure there will be many that disagree, but I'd say Sydney.

Norm I agree with you on that one. When we were there 3 months ago, the Hills area reminded me a lot of CT, especially a road between Stanhope Gardens & Kellyville reminded me a lot of Durbanville. Just the whole vibe too. Don't think Sydney CBD can compare to CT's but the suburbs do.

Cheers

Dedrei

Hi Dax,

We often think of Adelaide as Cape-Town-without-Table Mountain, however that is just my wife and I's mindset.

However, adelaide has much in common with Cape town, e.g. weather, vineyards, 'fynbos' type of shruberry, beaches,etc.

The Gulf of st Vincent is adjacent to the Adelaide metro. Stitch about 10 False bays together, and you have The gulf of st Vincent.

Cheers,

dax

I concur! I immediately thought of Adelaide, although it is somewhat smaller, Adelaide does give me a vibe or a feeling of Cape Town. Lots to do and see :) !

Good luck John-Gill!

Lovies, Pippa! X

Are you sure you have seen all the outdoors things Melbourne surrounds can offer you? Have you traveled extensively in the Dandenong ranges and walked the walking trails around the Puffing Billy? Have you been up to Mt Macedon and travelled around there? How bout rural Victoria's beautiful places like the Snowy mountains, the various natural caves and the national parks? I think there are many things that you have not experienced here yet. I know it is cold this time of year but it is very refreshing to visit the Dandenong ranges this time of year. Take a tour of the Alfred Tindale gardens (my favourate!), taste some locally roasted walnuts, see the aboriginal sculpture gardens, feed the beautiful birds, take a picnic basket and enjoy the lushes rain forest. The problem may be that you don't know where to find information on what there is to do. You've only been here since Jan? Visit the visitor information centre on the corner of Flinders and St Kilda rd or buy a book about walking trails or Vic's national parks. I really think you'll be missing out if you shift to another city now.

Yes, I agree that Cape town compares well to Adelaide. The weather is not quite as changeable as Mel but Adelaide and surrounds is quite 'hilly' and no matter where in Adelaide you can always see Mt Lofty. Not quite as large as table mountain though.

Cheers Sunflower

Cheers,

dax

Don't even talk about False Bay. It set me to tears.

Jill, I know what you are talking about. We did day walks, went to the beach after work just for a stroll of to have a picnic, we just don't do it here even though we are 10 minutes drive from the beach. Maybe I can talk to Bruce and we can get together and see what day hikes there is around Melbourne. But first, we have to get our babas big enough to enjoy these things with us.

HALO DAAR.EK WEET WAT JY DEURGAAN EN VOEL. ;) ONS HET IN GORDENSBAAI GEBLY TEEN DIE BERG.DIS WAT EK DIE MEESTE VOOR VERLANG.DIE BERGE EN DIE PRAGTIGE SEE UITSIG.DIT WAS SPROKIES MOOI. :lol: DIS ERGER AS JY VAN DAAI KANT AF IN AUS. KOM BLY.EK HET AL MET BAIE MENSE GEPRAAT VAN TRANSVAAL EN HUL SE DAT DIT BETER HIER IS EN GOUER INPAS WANT HUL SCORE DIE SEE.VIR ONS KAAPENAARS IS DIT MOEILIKER.MAAR JY SAL SIEN DIT RAAK BETER MET DIE TYD.N MENS RAAK DIT GEWOOND MET DIE PLAT VLAKTES HIER. :whome: STERKTE.

Hi John-Gill,

What you need is a break to New Zealand!! Book yourself a flight and visit the NZ South Island. Places are much smaller than Cape Town, but there are lots of places that have the look and feel of the Cape and Cape Town. I'm sure you'd love places like Queenstown and even Christchurch - stunningly beautiful!!!

SAS

Wow thanks for the answers, everyone! :lol:

Sunflower, to answer your question, yes I've been to Melbourne three times before, and I've done the Dandenong Ranges, Alfred Tindale Gardens with the Aboriginal sculptures (or was that the Rickett's reserve?) etc. We haven't done Mt Macedon yet though, but will add it to the list. We have travelled up to Swan Hill though and driven through and stopped at some decent areas along the way.

Still I suppose it's not really fair to feel this way yet, as I am a bit trapped as I'm over 8 months pregnant now so am starting to be more confined to the local parks etc. But still, I miss the craggy mountains terribly! (and even thought I'm that far pregnant we've still been very active and went down the Mornington Peninsula this weekend and stuff like that).

We won't think of shifting yet, cos my sister is here in Melbourne, so there is too much keeping us here really. I'll definitely put more effort into not feeling sorry for myself or for missing the mountains, and more effort into finding new places to explore - thanks for the tips Sunflower.

In terms of Adelaide, I lived in Adelaide as an 18 year old for a year in 1994. I had a fabulous time in Adelaide, and made some incredible friends. I lived out in the southern suburbs around Happy Valley, Flagstaff Hill, etc. I love the place, and the Hahndorf area especially - so much character. Half of me wishes we could have moved to Adelaide last year when we arrived in October, but the fact is that for our industries there are more jobs in Melbourne than in Adelaide. And besides, I suspected that I was pregnant and we decided that family would be most important. But it's great to know that so many people say Adelaide is similar to good old CT! In fact, I've decided that baby and I are taking a railway trip up to Adelaide in October, so I'll use that as my soul-replenishing pseudo-Cape Town time!!! And SAS, I think NZ is a definite must-do for our lifestyle! Perhaps we'll have to plan an annual trip there once baby is a bit older!

Thanks again for all the input. It really means a lot when you're feeling down and alone to know that you can find answers and warmth here! ;)

Its funny, but its all abut perception. I spent 2yrs in CT doing Natoinal service and have live in Syd and now Mel, but also traveled extensively on business in Aus - although only once to Adelaide.

I have to say out of all the places I have been to Mel has always given me the feeling of being like CT, except you dont have Table Mountain as a backdrop to the city.

For example the city centre and the way the city hangs of Flinders street staion reminds me of Cape Town station and how it leads into city centre.

Mel also has a renovated docks area, the Docklands like CT with VA waterfront.

Ct has many facets to it depending on the area your visiting - i.e. Gordons Bay is different to Simons Town, different to Camps Bay, different to CT city centre, which are all on the coast. you also have the different bays where you have CT facing right onto the Ocean and on the other side False Bay etc - Mel is similar in way with Mornington peninsula, Benalla peninsula etc.

Now something CT does not have is the mountains for skiing - yes there maybe snow in the mountains, but in Mel we are about 3hrs from some really good skiing.

SunFlower has highlighted many other similarities to CT from an outdoor activity perspective. Mel has some great beaches whether you want waves for surfing or calm flats to take your kids. Who can forget Bells Beach. St Kilda is almost like your Camps Bay - maybe not quite as upmarket.

The Ocean road reminds me of the road from Cape Poiint back into the city through Camps Bay, Llandudno etc.

Then lets talk about the weather - Only Mel has 4 seasons in a day like CT and what about that wind (just sometimes :( )

CT has some of the best golf course especially Links courses in S.A Guess what - Victoria and specifically Mel on the sandbelt is the home of golf in Australia.

We even have a bit of the Old Transvaal gold fields with a short visit to Sovereign Hill

What about sport - Mel is the home of sport in Australia. If you loved going to watch the cricket at Newlands - you will enjoy the experience just as much at the MCG - now that brings back memories. Is that pub still in CT called the Pig & Whistle. What about Australian Open at Rod Laver arena. We even get the odd Tri-Nations :)

Its all in the eye of the beholder - we love living here - there is so much variety and things to do

Rgds

matman

Guest Mussets

Dear John-Gill

You are now in the mourning phase of emigration. You have to mourn the loss of Cape Town and the Hottentots-Holland mountains. There is only one Cape Town And you were priviliged to have stayed there for a while. Many people in South Africa never have that privilige. I was born and grew up in Cape Town. Never set my foor outside the Cape prov. until I went to varsity at TUKS. Wow, culture shock... But I have been in Pretoria a long time now and I am in love with the Africa that I got to know here. The highveld, the bushveld, the lowveld and of course the Kruger, Pilansberg and even just little old Faerie Glen nature reserve where the dogs can also taste a bit of the "wild". My favourite thing now is a glass of red wine next to a camp fire in the bush. I still want to do a hike in Big 5 territory befor I leave. Mourn Cape Town (and beautifull Table mountain) and let it always have a special place in your heart. But most of all look forward to the birth of your child. Do not underestimate the emotional rollercoaster having children puts you on. That might be why you are so very sad about the loss of the familiar. Give Melbourne a chance. Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But right now your feet are swollen, you've got acid reflux 24/7 and you can't sleep properly so maybe you should forget about trying to find Cape Town's twin, for a little while. Say hi to baby for me when he or she arives.

Antoinette

• 3 weeks later...

Take a drive up Burwood highway and take the tourist road up to the Dandenong mountains.BEAUTIFUL-certain parts will remind you of Houtbay.Have tea at Miss Marples-in Sassafrass.