perth, accomodtion and work areas

merc

hi guys.

i have been reading through some of the topics, and noticed some are fairly old.  i am a mature 40 year old, single south african woman, with permanent residency.  been on the gold coast for three years and have had enough.  looking to move to perth in next three weeks.  can anyone recommend affordable furnished areas, and work places, where they generally are. i do call center work, hospitality customer service etc.  where is most of the work for those places.  

will book accomodation with an air bnb first two weeks, cany anyone recommend person? or place?

any information will be appreciated.

warmest, from durban skies.

Hi there

Interested to know what made you have enough of the gold coast? I am in Sydney but investigating a move to the gold coast.

hi vitchie!

firstly gold coast is there for two reasons, filthy rich for retirement, and those  pool of characters who have midlife crisiss and run off to the gold coast.  work is very very hard to get there.  you got to remember that all the universities are there, so it is filled of backpackers , students passing through, who get the jobs because of junior rates, and also kids there at college for nine months to learn english.  again, they get the jobs as cheaper pay.

of the work available,  it is all part time.. twenty hours per week etc. so you got to do two jobs.  

accomodation is very difficult and expensive.   again, alot of people own apartments but rent them out through rental pool, but then again, the gold coast is the richest  municipality in australia..so those are expensive.  

currently, ice is a big problem in gold coast. and drugs in general, .i heard a systetic the other day saying that 80 percent of ice users live on the gold coast.  this is evident, as the influx of bikie gangs has infiltrated alot more areas..and crime has risen alot.  crime is very bad on gold coast.

labrador, is know as lock your door labrador, as drive by shootings etc, drug warfare and bikies.

i suppose it depends where you stay, but the coast is the coast.  traffic is very bad, especially highway from gc to brisbane, as quite a few people live and commute either way.  

gc is very much bling bling..and then to top it off, half of china owns the place so its full of them,  they own alot of business, and buildings, construction etc..they are colonising the world and are everywhere..

its an overcroweded, expensive, culutral mixing pot, and no work.  very difficult.  it is a coastal town, so seasonal as well.

i dont drive but i hear parking expensive.  public transport excellent and affordable!!

to say the least, i lived there three years, made only three friends from call center work,  (two kiwis and one american) and dont have a single australian friend, contact or mate..very clicky the gold coast.  nobody gives you time of day as its a town of people always passing through.  any particular areas you were looking at?

• Like 1

spot on. The gc is not for your average family. It is indeed a bling destination. Watch a tv show called gold coast cops. .one thing about the gc is the amount of motor cycle "clientele" that frequent the area...which is frowned upon by all

hi new2forum.

yes, its not for all people.  it is different.  i see you from bluff.  i was born on the bluff, many moons again.  currently in durban,  visiting, been here a month, and itching to get going and get settled.  have not worked for just over two months now.  the first five weeks, compliments of call center work,..

i hear sydney is grand, but very expensive..  alot of people looking to move outskirts i believe.  

21 hours ago, merc said:

hospitality customer service etc

Merc have you considered working in an aged care facility (meal service type work)? There is a high need in this area and your skills would be great for this. There are all sorts of jobs which don't involve personal care such as activities co-ordinator too.  Just a thought...

hi rylc.  

thanks for your response.  i have not really thought about it, as i know with aus you need alot of papers for all industries.  

i am wanting to get out call center etc..but need to find work, and ;settle and then ;relaunch options.  i am single, in my forties, so need job security and also been ablel to put away a little ching ching for old age..lol

do you work in that area?

No I don't work in the area but know people who do. Here in Adelaide there is a very big need for aged care services and only shortish courses required.  It would be worth finding out what would be required.  Also with the NDIS roll out here with people aging in their own homes, there is a huge need for service providers for things like taking people shopping, cleaning their homes, simple cooking, keeping them company etc Lots of options...

hi rycl

i agree, on the gc, i lived for a brief time with an 83 year old gal.. the carers came everyday to shower, cleaners when she needed, shopping, house visits, nurses to the home etc..i will definetly look into that.  thank you.

hi merc yes bluff is home near ansteys beach offers the best of both worlds...its a pity that the refinery and industrial work is getting out of hand. we still have most of 0ur family there and still go back very few years.

the gc is for those who want a "hectic" lifestyle byt there are exceptions. age care us booming and is a good income oppurtunity

all the best

hi new2forum..

yes the industrial area is not that lekker down that side.

yes, the gc is not for everyone, but everywhere it seems old age industry is in demand, as they say the baby boomes are living much longer,  right now australia is the the 3rd longest living , in the group with chinese and japanse.

i am currently up in kloof visiting the family and hopefully my business is done by next friday and then i just get a flight out.

thanks for your info..

have a sunshine day!

Wow,  Merc, that is a totally different GC to the one we have experienced! We don't go to Surfer's so maybe that's why? We have met so many people, mostly Australians and everyone has been so friendly. Traffic is relative, it is nowhere as hectic as the major cities & not as expensive either. The only bad traffic is between Brisbane & GC. Parking isn't expensive, most shopping centres are free that we go to. We have met loads of people with young families who have moved from Sydney and Melbourne for a better lifestyle. Housing is much more affordable to buy than in the big cities. Rental at the moment is tough due to the increased demand. We haven't seen the Bikie gangs. The crime seems to be northern GC, closer to Brisbane southern suburbs. 

There are a lot of retired people living here but loads of families too. 

I suppose everyone has different experiences in different places. :)

hi sml

thank you for your feedback.  yes everybody does have different experiences.  i suppose having children, you are exposed to bigger groups of people.  yes alot of retirees.  well its not for everyone, but the experience i have had there has not been pleasant.  i worked part time in real estate, so was expposed to property prices etc there, and been a renter yes is difficult due to the demand.

anyways, a sunny day in durban today, hoping to fly out in the next 8 days.  and it wont be hello gc, it will be hello perth..lol..

warmest from under the african skies.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/02/2018 at 1:00 PM, merc said:

hi guys.

i have been reading through some of the topics, and noticed some are fairly old.  i am a mature 40 year old, single south african woman, with permanent residency.  been on the gold coast for three years and have had enough.  looking to move to perth in next three weeks.  can anyone recommend affordable furnished areas, and work places, where they generally are. i do call center work, hospitality customer service etc.  where is most of the work for those places.  

will book accomodation with an air bnb first two weeks, cany anyone recommend person? or place?

any information will be appreciated.

warmest, from durban skies.

Hi guys I am also very interested in where to find affordable short term accommodation near the CBD. We will be moving there on the 1st of May. I have already reached out to Perth furnished rentals so looking for other options in the same price range.