Visitor Visa question

zamunda

Hey everyone

My mum is planning on visiting me in March. She has a visitor visa which allows her a 12-month stay from the date of arrival.

Does she have to have a return ticket when she arrives in Aus?

I ask this because I have had conflicting answers from various people. Some have said a return ticket is not mandatory as long as I can voucher for her, confirming that mum will not overstay. Others have said it is better to have a return ticket.

Has anyone on this forum had any experience in this?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

A one way ticket will be a red flag and I wouldn't risk it.  The message is definitely "I don't need the return journey". What is the reason for not having a return ticket?

It's also highly likely that she won't be allowed on the flight leaving RSA because they check visas against tickets. RSA / SAA has to pay for the people denied entry so they won't allow you to board without everything in order.  That's always been our/family experience anyway.

Edited by RYLC

Honestly I don't think it's worth the risk. Rather buy a flexible return ticket so that you can change her return date if her plans change. The last thing you want is her stressing for days before the flight because she may not be allowed to board without a return ticket. And if your plan really is to have her return home after the visit, buying the ticket shouldn't be a problem - or at least that's how the immigration officials are likely to view it. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2018 at 6:59 PM, RYLC said:

A one way ticket will be a red flag and I wouldn't risk it.  The message is definitely "I don't need the return journey". What is the reason for not having a return ticket?

It's also highly likely that she won't be allowed on the flight leaving RSA because they check visas against tickets. RSA / SAA has to pay for the people denied entry so they won't allow you to board without everything in order.  That's always been our/family experience anyway.

On 2/13/2018 at 7:34 PM, Tntaglia said:

Honestly I don't think it's worth the risk. Rather buy a flexible return ticket so that you can change her return date if her plans change. The last thing you want is her stressing for days before the flight because she may not be allowed to board without a return ticket. And if your plan really is to have her return home after the visit, buying the ticket shouldn't be a problem - or at least that's how the immigration officials are likely to view it. 

I wrote to Dept of Immigration and according to them, a return ticket is not a must, as long as mum (or me as her sponsor) can prove that she has sufficient funds to purchase a return ticket. But according to the airlines, it is another story.  So I guess it is best to buy a return ticket. However, the air lines say they can not issue a ticket 12 months into the future. So the only option is to get a ticket 8 months into the future and then pay the penalty to have it extended. Think the airlines are trying to make money out of us.

Edited by zamunda

Yes it's the airlines who are the first check point for having travel documents etc in order. In my experience they won't let you board if your visa / ticket don't match.

• 5 months later...

If you do not have a visa that allows you to live in Australia ie permanent Resident or Work Visa , you must be is possession of a return ticket or you will be denied boarding