Activation period

TamTam

Question

Hi everyone.

We did the medical for my son today and it has been submitted to DIBP (according to the emedical client). I believe that the gap between visa grant and required activation is related to the validity of the medical (valid for 6 months). Is this correct? Basically how do they calculate from the date of visa grant till required first entry.

Any thoughts?

8 answers to this question

Generally (it can vary in some circumstances) speaking the validity date will be based on a period of 12 months from the earliest of any relevant checks ie Medical (and / or Police)

• Thanks 1

Its a year from the earliest of the police checks (not relevant in this case) or the medical results.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys - the earliest date is May 22 for our PCC (it's required for a 101 visa).

Would I be able to guess/predict/study the stars to estimate how long from medical submission till visa grant?

My old agent who did our 189 for us assumed 3 - 4 weeks from the DIBP clearing the medical which puts me at the end of Feb. Therefore to activate by May is probably going to necessitate a separate trip before the big move. Can I take my son over to activate alone or does his dad need to be there too? We are both his sponsors but dad is the primary sponsor.

@TamTam I think my story is unique but I gathered  this happened to a few of us that applied lat last year....

Date of visa application 03 April 2017

granted on 20 September 2017

Must Make First Entry to Australia Before 20 March 2018

that gives us 6 months to activate (we heading over in 3 weeks time), as you can see it took 6  months to approve, but I think they had some delays last year with VISA rule changes etc.....

not sure if this helps ;-) 

Edited by LM17

@LM17 what were the dates on your medical/PCC - I am told that either document with the earliest date governs the length of time before activation is required.

We were given 11 months to activate when our 189 grant came through back in 2013. But perhaps the rules have changed.

I wonder what is the minimum anyone has heard of as the time to activate - some forumites have had as little as 3 months. 

@TamTam  it was 12 months from the medical date BUT the issue was they took 6 months to approve, if that happens the clock does not stop I;m afraid and your activation time decreases,  (there were a few other guys on here that were also affected by the delay in 2017 , but approval seems to go much faster as from Q4 2017)

Edited by LM17

@LM17 I think that's exactly what's going to happen and we need to plan for a very short interval between visa grant and required activation date. The medical was requested 7 months after submitting the visa and the date for our PCC was 22 May 2017. From what I am told I should be getting the visa grant around 3 - 4 weeks after the medical has cleared. So if all my assumptions are correct then I should get the visa grant around end February. Which leaves three months to close up shop here. Hubby has suggested I take my son over to activate the visa ALONE (oh hell no am I travelling with a 2 year old alone). But to fly all three of us for a short trip and then fly back less than 3 months later (we were planning a month vacation to SA in June), seems like a bad idea...

*TamTam goes searching for a brown bag to breathe into"

@TamTam I am sure it will all work out , (deep breaths) 

if it makes you feel any better - we flying over with twins (2.5 year olds) on 15 Feb for 10 days, going to be WILD! 

Edited by LM17
  • Haha 1