New to board - just saying Hi!

Nix

Wow - am I gald I have found this board! I think it is going to be a life saver in the months going forward. I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

My husband and I are applying for a 138 (family sponsored skilled) visa and we are "going it alone" i.e. no agent. I have just submitted my skills / degrees to be assessed by VETASSESS and are hoping to have our application in before the 1 Sep rule change. Not sure if I am smoking my socks or not, but I am going to try.

Both my husband and I are South Africans that left SA in 2000 and have been living on an island in the Caribbean for the last 7 years. We LOVE it here, but understand that we need to think about our long term future and the education of our 4 year old (who was born here). So Auz is a necessity.

We will probably be settling in Perth, but have yet to make that decision final. We would like to arrive sometime late next year, so that our child can start Grade 1 in Jan 2009.

These are all "ideals", but we have to have something to work towards.

So - Hi !!!

Looking forward to "talking" to you all over the months to come !

Cheers!

Nicky

Wow - am I gald I have found this board! I think it is going to be a life saver in the months going forward. I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

My husband and I are applying for a 138 (family sponsored skilled) visa and we are "going it alone" i.e. no agent. I have just submitted my skills / degrees to be assessed by VETASSESS and are hoping to have our application in before the 1 Sep rule change. Not sure if I am smoking my socks or not, but I am going to try.

Both my husband and I are South Africans that left SA in 2000 and have been living on an island in the Caribbean for the last 7 years. We LOVE it here, but understand that we need to think about our long term future and the education of our 4 year old (who was born here). So Auz is a necessity.

We will probably be settling in Perth, but have yet to make that decision final. We would like to arrive sometime late next year, so that our child can start Grade 1 in Jan 2009.

These are all "ideals", but we have to have something to work towards.

So - Hi !!!

Looking forward to "talking" to you all over the months to come !

Cheers!

Nicky

Hi Nicky

Welcome to the forum - I am fairly new myself. Like you we left SA a few years ago and have been in Ireland but have missed the weather every day we have been here. Hence the decision to give Oz a go. We are trying for the 457 visa as my OH is over age and it seems the easiest route to get started.

I discovered the forums a couple of months ago and they really are helpful. There are a couple of others - Go Matilda and British Expats. Even though you may not be British, there is lots of info on their site.

Hope all goes well for you.

Jill

Nicki,

Well done for going it alone. All you need is a fairly good understanding of English, and the Australian Immigration web site. Obviously you need the points (for skilled).

Perhaps you can sail to Sydney harbour, and rent a mooring?

Good luck,

Simba

Dear Nix,

Welcome to the forum.

Please note that I moved your original post to the Foyer. Hope you don't mind!

Good luck with the move.

Lovies, Pippa! X

Hi Nix,

Good luck with everything - shout if you have questions!

Cheers

Ajay