Tri Nations Dilemma

rick

Hi all

As of 8th June 2007 I am going to be a SA born NZ citizen living in Oz.Not too sure who to support in the Tri Nations.Always get that good feeling when the Bokke win though!

We have been in NZ for nearly 7 years but a combination of cold weather and bad allergy problems for my 4 year old boy has meant another migration process.The doctors recommended Queensland which probably means Brisbane from a work and school point of view.So glad to have come across this forum.Before our first move the only information we had about NZ was a weekend newspaper that a friend sent.

To those in SA still planning or contemplating the big move I wish you all the best. Dont underestimate the huge cost you are about to pay, both financial and emotional - but whatever the cost, it is the right decision.

My wife and children will come over in a couple of months which gives me some time to find a job and house.

I would love to make contact with anyone willing to answer questions on the usual topics.

Cheers.Rick

Rick

you seem to be in a win-win situation...or should I say win-win-win ;)

Hi this is Debra

Schalk my husband, My son and i are in the process of moving to OZ. I just don't know wether i will be able to see it through. Schalk has been made a job offer in Gladstone Queensland, but i don't have anything yet.

This is causing me sleepless nights as i really do not want to give up what i have and land in OZ with nothing. I also realise that this is silly as it is all materisl stuff.

We have just sold our home here as our sponsor has sent in our application and now we are waiting.(Long stay visa Sub class 457 or 456 --- not sure how it works and if it is worth taking the chance) (I have already started house hunting for a new home this side but Schalk is not interested ) We need to find out what the going rates are for Fitters in the Queensland area. He is a qualified fitter but is at present a service supervissor mechanised mining. (just to compare salaries)

As you have realised i am a bumdle of nerves, we are leaving so much behind but i also realise it is for our safety and our sons future. (going to miss my animals)

Please could you assist with any info on Schalks line of work and on this visa type.

Regards

Debra

Hi Debra.

If your husband has a job offer/sponser, I think you can relax a little.Gladstone is a big mining area.Not too sure exactly what he does but a look through www.seek.com.au shows fitters in Queensland fetch salaries from about 60k to 120k.Have a look at this site - it may also give you an idea of what work is available to you.I cant give any advice on your visa queries as I came to NZ under different requirements and am moving to Oz as a NZ citizen.Keep looking through this forum, there is heaps of info regarding the different visas.

If you are planning to move halfway across the world for an easier life and lots of money you may be a little disappointed initially.If it is beacuse of safety and your sons future, it is the right move.The mining industry is booming, there are lots of jobs around, and if you arent too fussy about what you do to start with, you will certainly make ends meet.

I know how you are feeling - have been there twice myself.

Best of luck and stay in touch.

Cheers

Rick

• 2 months later...

Hi Rick

Long time no hear.Sorry just been up to my ears in paper work. Our nomination and sponsorship has been approved. We have been for medicals and all paper work is so to say done. Will be sending it off tomorrow, (to immi). So its all go. Not expecting much so there will be little room for disappoimtment. My son and husband are mentally in OZ. Sad to be leaving my daughter here but she is 25 and not sure when her and her fiance will be coming over. Hope they see the writting on the wall sooner than expected. Just that we have worked so hard for that that we have built up and now to start all over again at our age feels rather weird.

Where abouts are you situated?

Regards

Debra