BoP Code

BarryHeyns

Good day

I have opened a bank account in Aus and would like to start transferring cash over.

I am making payments from my bank this side (Investec) directly into the CommBank account we opened, I need to enter a BoP code, not sure which to use? I know we have the $1m discretionary allowance, can someone please advise what the correct code is?

I am paying over $20,000 now which is well below the $1m threshold.

hi Barry, I would check with Investec, BOP codes are used by Reserve bank to track our outflows. There are different codes for Annual allowances, formal emigration, holiday money transferred etc.

As a side note how did you open the Bank account? , online?

We have our 189 VISAs and we will be going for a holiday in Feb and for good later in 2018, but I would like to start moving cash across in the meantime

Thanks mate   

@BarryHeyns I have the same question!

I called Std Bank and was told they are not allowed to tell me which code to use....! Not very helpful I’m afraid.  I am not formally emigrating so I’m not sure if I should use the overseas travel option.  So far I have sent smaller amounts of money to hubbys account calling it a gift, because it just seemed simpler.  Don’t think that’s going to work all the way through though as I’m sure there may be other implications to that.

On 11/8/2017 at 10:35 PM, MichKen said:

@BarryHeyns I have the same question!

I called Std Bank and was told they are not allowed to tell me which code to use....! Not very helpful I’m afraid.  I am not formally emigrating so I’m not sure if I should use the overseas travel option.  So far I have sent smaller amounts of money to hubbys account calling it a gift, because it just seemed simpler.  Don’t think that’s going to work all the way through though as I’m sure there may be other implications to that.

I got the correct code, it's 512/04