Exchanging Cash for LSD trip

JJDLmoving

Hi everyone

I will be going to Melbourne for my LSD trip early in December this year.  I'm hoping someone can give me some sound advice.

My issue is that I have cash US dollars that I want to use for my trip.  Ideally I would like to put these on some form of a World Travel Card.  However in South Africa they want to charge me commission twice 1) to convert from US dollars to rands and then 2) commission from rands to Australian dollars.  The exchange rate is also very poor. 

Would it be possible for me to bring these cash dollars to Australia and convert them straight onto a World Travel Card in Australia? Or alternatively to just change this to Cash AUS Dollars?

If anyone can give me some advice on this in terms of fees, exchange rate, where to do this, et cetera I would be extremely grateful.

LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING YOU MELBOURNE!!!!! :D

If you bring the US$ with you, then go to a bank here, you can exchange it on the spot, just ensure you have your passport with you.

Most of the banks have prepaid debit cards, that they can place your Aussie Dollars in.

The problem is, I do not know if these debit cards would be available to visitors. You would have to ask.

I just called a friend who works for Commonwealth Bank, she said that she does not see a problem with you getting a debit card, as long as you can identify yourself, which your passport should do.

Just remember, unlike RSA (I am talking years ago) each bank here has their own exchange rate.. so perhaps go on to the internet and check out what their exchange rates are, before you approach them.

Whatever you do, please do not do any exchanges at the airport, unless absolutely necessary, they charge a premium to do the exchange for you, much more than a bank in the city/suburbs.

• Like 1

Also check how much it is, there is some limit on how much cash you can take through the airport. Or maybe you can take it through but you need to declare it. Just make sure you are jumping through the right hoops when bringing it in.

If you bring in more than $10,000 Australian, then you need to declare it. Do not think you can get away with it, they have sniffer dogs that can sniff out large amounts of money. There is no premium, no problem, but you will have to show how you got it, they are looking for money laundering.

• Like 1

Don't we all wish that....:D

• Haha 1