Packing Electronics in luggage

MichKen

So we into the final stretch.... just under 5 weeks until we leave this beloved place for our new home.  I have a packing question.  We aren’t taking a container over, just our suitcases.... starting fresh.  But I believe electronics are quite expensive so hubby wants me to bring our projector with me to use as a TV.  It’s certainly not new, a few years old, but I don’t have any receipts for it and I will bring it in it’s box.  We will also each have our laptops, cellphones and tablets with us.  Of course they will all be hand luggage.  He is already there and I am traveling alone with the kids.

Is this going to be a problem at customs, I read there’s a $900 limit each?  Does this apply to old stuff?  Do I need to declare all this?

My presumption is that you are coming on on PR? If that is the case, this is just your worldly goods and that you are exempted from the $900!. If people can bring in a 20 or 40 ft container with their worldly goods, and this is all you are bringing... then I cannot see the problem.

The $900 limit usually is for returning residents or citizens to Australia.

• Thanks 1

I doubt you'll have a problem with the electronics. I know they can look at serial codes to see if something is new, not sure if they can do the same to see if something old. But it's also possible that you could explain to the customs people in Aus that you are migrating, and in fact your airplane/landing card will also show this. Immigration is different from tourist visits or returning home.

That limit is for new goods, I'm sure. We've travelled as tourists with laptop, cameras, phones totalling more than $900. I mean, a single good camera lense is more than $900. So I'm assuming it's just for tax, on new goods. Also why it's important to declare goods you take along on tours, so that you can bring them back. But that's a different scenario.

I can't see a reason why you would encounter problems.

• Thanks 1

Before you pack your old projector and having to drag it around with you on trains plains & automobiles, maybe check out what a new TV will cost in Australia.  The latest and greatest from big brands can be quite expensive but you get cheaper brands which may be worth the expense to save you all the trouble. 

Have a look here:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2017 at 2:46 AM, RedPanda said:

I doubt you'll have a problem with the electronics. I know they can look at serial codes to see if something is new, not sure if they can do the same to see if something old. But it's also possible that you could explain to the customs people in Aus that you are migrating, and in fact your airplane/landing card will also show this. Immigration is different from tourist visits or returning home.

That limit is for new goods, I'm sure. We've travelled as tourists with laptop, cameras, phones totalling more than $900. I mean, a single good camera lense is more than $900. So I'm assuming it's just for tax, on new goods. Also why it's important to declare goods you take along on tours, so that you can bring them back. But that's a different scenario.

I can't see a reason why you would encounter problems.

Hi all my son wants to take his XBox 500GB console as hand luggage. Does it need to be in a box in his hand luggage or must it be checked in luggage? Your advise would be much appreciated 

I'm not sure. Asked hubby for his opinion, we both think: ask the airline.
Laptops and externals are fine to take in hand luggage, just be sure to make them accessible for scans and checks. But we don't know about the console specifically. The airline should be able to give you a better answer.

BUT the bigger questions is: are XBoxes region locked? If they are you might have an issue using it once you are here. Certainly worth checking this out before bringing it over.
DVD players have region issues, Blue-ray players don't. Better to check what the case is for XBox.

@Rubie please post the airline's answer here :D I also want to take my xbox over and I'm not sure if I should throw it into the container, checked luggage or hand luggage. I've read that the xbox one isn't region locked, not sure about the other versions.

1 hour ago, iambrettstar said:

@Rubie please post the airline's answer here :D I also want to take my xbox over and I'm not sure if I should throw it into the container, checked luggage or hand luggage. I've read that the xbox one isn't region locked, not sure about the other versions.

Qantas said we cannot take it as hand luggage. We can only put it in checked baggage. I pray our friendly OR Tambo baggage handlers do not help themselves to it😪😪Thanks for confirming it’s not region locked