Biltong

RussellJ

Hi,

Ok I am going to expect a beat down lol  but figured I’d ask anyway...😊

I am heading back to rsa for a short visit...can I bring back purchased biltong in sealed commercial package when I return?

I do understand food items need to be declared. Just wondering if biltong is on the NO list...regardless.

#holdsKneesToChest

The short answer is defintely not... my sister came to visit last year, and declared it, they said they can hold it for her and she can collect it when she leaves.. it was all commercially packaged. 

Thank you, you’ve inspired me to start making my own again.

Nope. You will not bring biltong onto Aus. Better to talk to a butcher, explain your problem and get a recipe and a few lessons, then make your own when you're here.

Things must have changed then.  Vacuum sealed biltong was OK a few years back.

We make our own biltong - ready in 3 days! It works out to about $20 per kg (although they sell it here for $80 - $140 per kg!!) I've just had my first taste of  "wildsbiltong" this weekend - my son made it from a deer he shot - it tastes just like Springbok biltong! Cost him nothing!

'n Boer maak 'n plan! :ilikeit:

• Like 1

On 31/10/2017 at 3:53 PM, Riekie said:

Things must have changed then.  Vacuum sealed biltong was OK a few years back.

We make our own biltong - ready in 3 days! It works out to about $20 per kg (although they sell it here for $80 - $140 per kg!!) I've just had my first taste of  "wildsbiltong" this weekend - my son made it from a deer he shot - it tastes just like Springbok biltong! Cost him nothing!

'n Boer maak 'n plan! :ilikeit:

3 days?!

Whats your recipe?

:o

My local IGA sells Topside steaks for $12.99 - $15.99 per kg. I literally sprinkle with good vinegar and biltong spice from the South African shop, turn over and repeat, then leave in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.

Sometimes I cut the steaks into narrower strips, sometimes not even necessary. I just use the polystyrene tray that the steaks are sold in.

I then hang them in a counter top biltong maker (very basic model from Biltong Boks online) and we have biltong in 3 days, or 4 if you prefer it drier.

Not necessarily traditional, but its delicious - my son made loads of friends at school through his little ziplock bags of biltong!

• Like 1

I use a food dehydrator = 1.5 days

• Like 1

On ‎2017‎/‎11‎/‎02 at 5:10 PM, Eyebrow said:

3 days?!

Whats your recipe?

:o

It's very easy to make - I don't have the exact recipe on me (hubby makes it) but it involves vinegar, rock salt & spices and then placed in a biltong box we made (it has ventilation, a fan and a 124W light).  Three days and we eat!  (I already dig in after a day as I love it "rare"...  

• Like 2

Wow thanks

I almost feel like a can do it myself now!

Does the meat have to be fully submerged in the vinegar?

We buy a yearling rump and cut it into about 1 - 1.5cm slices ourselves

Sprinkle both sides with rock salt - place in container and set aside for about 30mins to 1 hour (the longer, the more salty, so the thinner the cuts, the shorter you leave it)

Pour apple cider vinegar into a bowl and rinse off the meat in it - squeeze out excess vinegar

Sprinkle spices on both sides

Hang to dry

Voila! 

• Thanks 1