UBER

Sharlene

Hi all

Just a question please, My family and i leave for Melbourne on friday. We arrive early hour's of the morning on Sunday, I have a 3 years old and a 9 years old.

Does anyone know if Uber provides Carseats? if not how do we go about getting the car seats? We travelling from Avlon Airport to Willaim's Landing.

Thank you

Sharlene

Can't comment on Melbourne, but in Sydney they definitely do not have car seats.  Don't worry about it too much, there will be maxi taxis at the airport.

There are also options to book a taxi in advance. I know taxi prices are quite high. But not really sure what other options you have if it's going to be really early. Sometimes that first trip is just unavoidably expensive.

• Like 1

That is what I suggested as well... to book for their arrival.

• Like 1

Yep, taxi will be best way to. Probably $120 for the trip. 

I've actually contacted Uber on this and they do not yet offer this service in Australia.

When you order a taxi, you must request one with a car seat.  That said, in most cases the car seat is shocking (old, filthy, smelly) and kept in the boot, then simply plonked onto the seat without it being properly anchored!  

Thank you so much...

We did take Uber from Avlon airport and i am now sitting in the Air B n B we booked. Melbourne can be very cold, but then i am used to the Johannesburg weather.

We are having a lovely, time and my kids are enjoying Melbourne.

• Like 1

Thanks for getting back to us on this! Good to know. So did they have a car seat?

No we did not have a car seat, but Hubbie and I sat with the kids. We will be using the train tomorrow, we want to go into the city to see what it feels like.

So lets see how this goes....

You are pretty fortunate that the police did not see you... the fines would have been large, both for the uber driver and yourselves! (to my knowledge)

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/road-rules/a-to-z-of-road-rules/seat-belts-and-child-restraints

Having unrestrained kid gets the driver a $300 fine and 3 demerit points see:  http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/demerits-general.pdf rule 266(1). Driving laws are draconian in Oz and the cops have too much time on there hands - not enough crime. No warnings or discussions - cops have KPIs to meet.

Edited by SimpleSimon

its called "revenue raising". In Australia you have the federal government competing for funds with the state governments. Even your local council gets a percentage of their funding directly from the public.

Its the nature of the country... the minerals are in Western Australia (where Perth is). But the population wants to live on the east coast... especially Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. So, how to split up the country's wealth becomes a bit political issue.

oh and I saw this:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nsw-drivers-pay-three-times-more-for-parking-fines-20160224-gn2f7e.html

Can't believe the Uber driver allowed the 3 year old in the car without a car seat... It's not about revenue raising or dodging a fine, it's about safety and the potential (irreversible) disaster if you were in a car accident.