Illegal to wear face coverings in Australia?

Riekie

A friend of mine who works for a travel agent in South Africa shared a "warning" that was issued by UK that from 1 October 2017 it would be illegal in Australia to "conceal" your face in public.  First word I've heard of this and cannot find anything about it on the internet either.  Does anyone know if there is any truth to it and where I could find out more about it?  

• 3 weeks later...

I found an article in May 2017 regarding rioting in a mask, in Victoria...
I know Pauline Hanson did her whole burka stunt in parliament...

I am not aware of any law saying you can't cover your face in public. Ek dink hulle het die kat aan die g** beet, om eerlik te wees.

Airports are a different matter, and it wouldn't surprise me if there are some rules and regs about identity on airports.

No law in Australia banning burqa or niqab. Lots of debate though. If a cop pulls you over, is he allowed to see your face, what should go on your driving licence. They’re now banned in certain countries in EU who have active terrorism.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2017 at 11:13 PM, Shellfish said:

That'd be Austria...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/01/austrias-burka-ban-comes-force-prohibiting-face-veils-public/

Wow - I thought it's was only Americans whose geography knowledge was questionable. 

Oh my WORD that's funny!  HaHa!  :lol:

On 10/23/2017 at 9:05 AM, Riekie said:

"warning" that was issued by UK that from 1 October 2017 it would be illegal in Australia to "conceal" your face in public

While they got the geographics wrong perhaps not so far away..........

The driver license photo capture requirements state "cannot wear facial coverings under any circumstances"

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/licensing/LBU_FS_YourSecureID.pdf

The approval of using Face recognition and the sharing driver license database information in Oct 2017 at national level

https://www.cnet.com/au/news/questions-about-facial-recognition-biometric-database-australia/

Wearing a mask in public during protests is illegal in NSW (perhaps other states will follow) and since 2012 the removal of face veils during security checks in NSW

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/nsw-identity-law-requires-veils-masks-helmets-to-be-removed-for-jps-lawyers/news-story/602952568c8dc547791ec1af9e66253f

While there is a lot of debate about privacy, I believe the next step is imminent.

Yes, definitely a lot of debate about this but you'd think logic would prevail without the paranoia & phobia.  I think the majority of the laws are for obvious reasons and have no relevance whatsoever to any religious coverings (most have been in place before religious face coverings even became an issue).  I remember growing up that you were not allowed to enter a bank with a helmet on and balaclavas were not allowed in many places.  So many people jumping on the band wagon these days and wanting to make it about religion and it's not.  Of course you won't be allowed to walk into a bank with a mask on - any mask on,  and if you're going to protest and riot, then naturally you'll need to be identifiable in case you act like a total idiot, assaulting people, damaging property etc.  Same goes for any situation in which establishing your identity is crucial.  Unfortunately some people take it all out of proportion and add their own agendas to it while others would abuse their religious "rights" to refuse being identified.  This is where logic fails on both sides of the debate.  

• Like 3