Employment help!

BarryHeyns

Hi everyone!

We have a huge problem, we love the look and feel of Canberra (I'm from the Free State and lived in Cape Town for 6 years, used to cold & wet weather for long periods!) , but finding employment seems to be very very difficult in Canberra.

I work in finance (mostly commercial sector) and I am trying to find something, but most positions require citizenship.. which I understand.

My CV looks good, Roz Fisher has fixed it up nicely and the experience and qualifications are more than enough for any accountant position or higher)

People tell me I need to have contacts in Canberra to be able to secure a job, so here I am trying to find one.

If you know anyone/friend/company hiring an accountant or else can you please pass on their details or I can provide mine.

We would love to become part of the Canberra community

Actually, your huge problem is that you've set your hearts on a specific place instead of going where the work is (sorry to say). Having Canberra (or wherever) as an ultimate settling spot as fine. Just go where the jobs are for when you first arrive and then work your way to your preferred spot.  I'm interested that you think that Canberra is like the Free State because I don't see it and there is a lot you don't know you don't know unless you have visited the place yourself. Canberra is like no other capital city. Don't go on temperature etc. It is a unique city even by Australian standards and has quirks not seen in other capital cities. For instance, you can't buy land in Canberra - only the house. So house prices seem "lower" when they are not really. Also the population is mostly federal/state government employees (which you might already know) and thus a transient workforce in that a lot of them flood back to Sydney etc over the weekends / holidays / parliamentary non-session time. Many many jobs in Canberra require citizenship rather than just PR because they are government jobs and/or require security clearance. This is a significant obstacle for a migrant and can be avoided by choosing a different city until you have citizenship. Don't make it unnecessarily harder on yourself than it might already be.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BarryHeyns said:

My CV looks good, Roz Fisher has fixed it up nicely

Can you please pass on the details for Roz. Thanks and good luck with the job hunt!

Yes I realize the problem is Canberra, but we really like it! TamTam, just google Roz Fisher, you will find all her details online. Excellent service and the CV has already worked with getting more responses to my emails.

• Like 1

@BarryHeyns Have a look at www.seek.com.au with key word “accountant” and location = Canberra. There are ~250 vacancies advertised. It looks like there are good opportunities there, so why are you having a problem?

Your profile is confusing- “landed Feb 2008” but you don’t have a visa yet. Is the actual issue that companies aren’t interested in talking to you until you have a visa and are in Australia?