Just heard: Arriving in 5 weeks!

fredk

Hi all

I heard yesterday that I managed to land a job in Sydney CBD, here from SA. Very grateful.

The tricky bit is they want me to start 1 Dec, and I obviously said yes! (a lot of emotions running through right now). Luckily we've sold the house and paid off debt so not a lot keeping us tied in.

HOWEVER, there's a LOT that needs to happen in the next couple of weeks. Main things I'd like to ask opinions on:

1. Accommodation for arrival: I am looking at 3 weeks AirBNB, but was also wondering whether there's not perhaps someone who's going to be visiting SA for a bit, looking to rent their place? We'll probably land around 25 Nov and need a place for 3 weeks or so. As mentioned I'll go the other route if not.

2. Suburbs: I've obviously been reading up a lot on this, so know if we want to see some South Africans we need to look north shore. I've also been looking at train lines and express trains to the CBD. My question is could you recommend a suburb perhaps a little further our (50min train or so) that's perhaps a little more affordable? We are likely looking for 3 bdr, but hopefully 4 (we're a family of 6). I know St Ives, Turramurra, Cherrybrook, etc we can probably get away with something around $950pw, but was wondering if there's not something else to consider where we could maybe get away with $750pw? What about Quakers Hill / Colebee? Is it worth exploring? We are homeschooling the kids so school not a consideration at this stage.

3. Shipping container: I'm about to request some quotes (Bayleys, Biddulphs - any other which specifically stands out?) - we will likely ship most things (furniture, beds, kitchen-ware, etc). Is it worth bringing washing machine & dryer? TV? What size house (currently have 3bdr about 215sqm) would you typically get into a 20ft container (I suppose the companies will advise but thought I'd ask in any case)?

I guess those are the main questions. I've copied the 100 things to do when moving list and sticking it on the fridge. Got about 20 things per week for the next 4 weeks, but WE WILL DO IT! 

Thanks!

• Like 5

There is a growing Saffa community around Camden.

Areas: Spring Farm, Elderslie, Oran Park

Look for Facebook Group "South Africans around Camden"

Rent for a 4 bed, 2 bath, 2 living, 2 garage, brand new home is around $525/w

Use your car to Campbelltown Station and then a 52 or 59min train trip to Central depending on the train.

I sit and work on my laptop for those hours, so the time is not completely lost.

Also childcare in the area is around $95/day

And we have NBN FTTH 

Hi, we stay in Beaumont Hills / Rouse Hill area. Brand new 4 Bedroom with fibre for $680pw. Swimming pool across the road. Express bus ride is 1 hour 1 minutes to the CBD.

If your appliances are new you can consider bringing them over. Most houses have a dishwasher already. If you want to see new prices online look at: Harvey Norman, The Good Guys, JB Hi-Fi. That should give you an idea of replacement costs. Congratulations on the job! Good luck with the move! :D 

On 10/10/2017 at 3:37 PM, fredk said:

(Bayleys, Biddulphs - any other which specifically stands out?) -

We also met with and will most likely use Execu move. They are a bit expensive but what we like about them is they offer 3months local and 1 month Auz storage extender for insurance free, and since we will most likely end up storing stuff this saves us allot in the end. We met with 4 companies and Execu move was the most professional and gave us the impression that he (the sales rep) knows what he is talking about.

Great news and congrats on the Job it is a massive bonus and well worth rushing to get there on-time, I think, now you get to enjoy Xmas without having to worry about a job. 

Try look at Thornleigh, Normanhurst and Hornsby for good location, reasonable rentals but good transport and schooling options...nice and leafy but without the Turramurra price tag...these suburbs are nested between cherrybrook and turramurra.

Edited by elleneo
  • Like 1