Superannuation included or excluded in offer?

Karools

Good day all,

I recently received a job offer, but superannuation is still very foreign to me. 

If a job offer states remuneration of let's say $100 000, does that amount include or exclude a superannuation contribution by the employer? 

In other words, do I receive the $100 000 (which will get taxed obviously) and the company pays $9500 to a super fund, or do I get $91 324,20 and the company pays $8675,80 into a super fund? 

I am under the impression it is excluded from the amount (i.e. it is additionally paid on top of the amount) but the offer of appointment doesn't mention superannuation so I am uncertain.

This is for a permanent resident if it makes a difference.

Its not standard, some firms (such as the accounting firms) usually provide a cost to company package (so $100k will include Super) but most firms pay to your Super fund for your benefit over and above the $100k. It is compulsory for employers to contribute to a Super, how they 'sell' it to you is not regulated, as far as I am aware.

Makes a big difference, ask them to clarify.

• Like 1

Hmm, they will usually say whether it's included or not.  I would say it includes super as that was the case when I received offers.

Agree with comments above, could be either.

If it specifically says salary of $100K, then I would assume it does not include the super component, but if it says something like 'Total Remuneration Package' (TRP), or 'Package' then I would assume it includes all remuneration, including super.

Edited by DAC

Thanx a lot for the replies, I have asked the person making the offer, but two days and still no reply. Hope that isn't a bad sign....