Health Examinations before lodging visa application

SilverRose

Question

Good day forumites,

We received our invitation to apply for a 189 visa last week(YAY!!!:D), and I've started completed the extremely long visa application form.

I would like to complete medicals before lodging the visa application. According to the DIBP site the process to arrange a health examination when you have not yet lodged a visa application is as follows: (1) you first need to complete the Health Declaration form online, after which the department will determine whether a Health Examination is required. (2) You will then be directed to the eMedical Client portal to consent to eMedical processing and complete your medical history if required. (3) Only then will you be able to download an eMedical Referral letter and get the HAP number.

How long does the department take to determine if you should complete a health examination? I would like to make an appointment for our medicals a.s.a.p., but Intercare will not help me without a HAP number!

Gosh! Just as you think you are making progress, something halts said progress and you have to wait! So frustrating!

Any guidance/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

5 answers to this question

Any reason you want to do the medicals before lodgement?  All 189 visas have to do medicals anyway, just keep in mind that the doctor WILL NOT tell you whether you passed or not as that information is sent directly to the DIBP and they actually decide whether it is a pass.  The doctor just basically collects the information and passes it onto the department.

We did ours before hand, as we tried to be decision ready. A few days after your tests it does say "no further action required" on your account, so you do actually know that you have passed.

Sorry can't help with your actual question, but if you do your medicals too soon it could shorten your time to your first arrival date.

Good luck, before you know it you'll look back with relieve (and have other worries :D)

Are you sure that means that you passed, as far as I know, that just means that the data has been sent to DIBP and they don't need any additional information?

3 hours ago, ChrisH said:

Are you sure that means that you passed, as far as I know, that just means that the data has been sent to DIBP and they don't need any additional information?

I might be wrong. But the way ours changed and what I've read from other's process, I'm fairly certain (in my own mind at least)

I'm just guessing here, but if you have a medical condition and you would like to know if they will accept you or not before you pay for the visa, I suggest you speak to a migration agent. They should have a better idea of whether or not people with that condition have been granted visas in the past. I think that would be safer than guessing what the DIBP processes are and what the status updates mean.

We have @TeeTMI and @SD_MOA on the forum, or if you have another agent you are using, I would suggest contacting them.