Police clearance certificate

Carole

Question

We live in Durban and are in the process of collecting documents to lodge for a Contributory Parent Visa. Do we just go through to the main police station and ask for one or are there companies that can do this service on our behalf? Any idea how long this takes? Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

15 hours ago, Carole said:

We live in Durban and are in the process of collecting documents to lodge for a Contributory Parent Visa. Do we just go through to the main police station and ask for one or are there companies that can do this service on our behalf? Any idea how long this takes? Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Carole

The police clearance is too soon to apply for. First you lodge application forms - one each per adult form 47PA and then another form 80 by the main applicant and then form 40 to be filled and signed by your sponsor in OZ.  After paying the initial application fee you will be given a letter confirming that your application has been received with application number and lodgement date. After 3 or more years later you will be assigned a Case Officer and at that point in time they ( DIBP ) will request medicals / Police Clearance - ( these documents only valid for one year ) and any other information that they may need.

I am also from Durban.

Best wishes    

• Like 1

@Carole. Yes it certainly is too soon. I would suggest you give yourself about 3 to 4 months before you expect to be asked for form 80 and medicals to apply for police clearance. We did ours last year in Nov, expecting the 24 months to be over when we receive our request and will have to apply all over again. It has now changed to 35 to 37 months according to the global visa processing times and those published times will be your guidelines. 

It is quite a simple process. Just go to your nearest police station and ask for the person who deals with police clearances. Your fingerprints will be taken and you will get the document which you then have to courier to Pretoria or you can use a company in Pretoria which will charge you approx. R900 to obtain and return the police clearances to you. They are excellent. PM if you want the name of the company, since I am not too sure whether we are allowed to promote a particular company on the forum. Quite a few of us Durbanites here on the forum, I see. We should have a meet up. :)

Good luck with your process.