LSD trip booked for October

Tntaglia

I guess it's not so much of an LSD trip in the traditional sense, since we're definitely going to Sydney and I pretty much have a job (hopefully final contract signing in the next week or two). But I'm going to a conference and hubby is coming along so that he can scout the city for areas where we'd like to stay and we'll use the weekends and evenings to get a feel for the place together. The kids are staying behind in SA. It was a hard decision since they are SOOOOO excited about moving to Oz, but we also know they're going to struggle with jet lag and I do not want their image of Sydney to be one of feeling unhappy. The next few months while we pack up and say goodbye is going to be hard enough on them. Plus it's an extra R40k to get them there and I can use that money very well elsewhere.

We are landing in Sydney on Saturday 7 October, hubby is staying until the 15th and I am staying until the 22nd. I'm nervous and excited and nervous again - we've made this huge decision without ever seeing the country we're moving to, what if we hate it? :unsure: We're flying direct on Qantas and staying in an AirBnB in the city centre, so that I can easily get to my conference and work. Conference is at the Hilton.

Does anyone have recommendations for a good app to use to track the local transport options? Either static just showing transport maps or something that updates using data. We are not planning to rent a car, partly to save costs and partly because I'm planning to use public transport to get to work anyway so may as well explore that now. 

• Like 2

Apps = Google Maps and TripView. Google Maps gives you transport options if you put in destination.

• Like 1

You will need a to get an Opal card when you arrive. Public transport is safe and gets to most parts of the city.

• Like 1

For alternate, environmentally-friendly modes of transport:

BIKE: Download oBike - the app shows you where you'll be able to find a bike close-by to you (they're all around the city now) then simply pay-scan-unlock and then leave the bike at the end in an approved area. It works out to about $4 an hour, I believe.

WALK: If you wish to explore via foot there is an app "Sydney Culture Walks". You can choose a 'tour' you'd like to do (e.g. Historical, public art or architecture) and then it guides you and gives you appropriate info as you walk around.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 05/09/2017 at 9:46 AM, Tntaglia said:

we've made this huge decision without ever seeing the country we're moving to, what if we hate it? :unsure: 

So how did it go. I know the feeling the first time we set foot in Australia will be on a one way ticket. 

14 hours ago, Fidjet said:

So how did it go. I know the feeling the first time we set foot in Australia will be on a one way ticket. 

You're not alone, we just visited a couple this weekend past, who had never been outside of South Africa before immigrating to Australia. I think you need a certain outlook on life to do that. But they seem to be doing ok. Circumstances have a lot to do with it. If you went though your options and decided Australia is the only place you can/want to go, then it makes it easier to accept it.

I think it's if you think you have all these options that you should be careful, because it could be tempting to think "Ahw jeez, I should have gone there instead. Perhaps I still can?" when the going gets tough.

And if you don't like the place in Australia where you arrive first, try to move to a different city. The cities have very different 'personalities', climates, attitudes, people.

I know it's scary to go into the unknown, but Australia really has a lot going for it. There are so many things that you could like, look for those.

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2017 at 11:17 PM, Fidjet said:

We absolutely adored Sydney. Usually when I go somewhere new and get asked for my opinion afterwards, I talk about the people or the vibe or the food or the experiences, but for Sydney I keep telling everyone how absolutely beautiful it is. Seriously, the prettiest place I've ever been in (and I say that as a born Capetonian!) I enjoyed the people, so many people willing to go out of their way to help a clueless tourist. I loved how safe it felt - well, let me rephrase that. I didn't really notice it, but then when we got home hubby and I both realised how huge the safety issues here are. All of a sudden setting your multiple alarms behind the electric fence every day feels so restrictive and you become aware of how much we have normalised those extra steps to be safe in South Africa. Everyone has an opinion on the best type of alarm system and the best electric fence and whether you should have a big scary outside dog or a small noisy inside dog to protect against robbers, whether a gun makes you safer or puts you at risk. I found myself carrying my wallet casually in my hand on the street when we were back and quickly put it away. 

Anyway, I am really glad we've been there, it's great to have a picture of the place and a sense of where we'd like to stay etc. But I'm sure you will be fine going in without the prior knowledge. Just keep an open mind and remember that moving is HARD so if it feels hard when you're there it's not a reflection on Australia!

So after seeing the different places around Sydney, have you decided where you’re going to stay?

That is so good to read, I can't wait to get that side and experience it for ourselves. We went to Scotland for our honeymoon and when we can back the 100s of "Safety precautions" we need to take to keep safe also started annoying us. We live 2 blocks away from a nice shopping centre, but if we need something we have to first lock everything up, switch on alarms, make sure dogs are open and cats closed in, then get in the car, open gates drive there and make sure the car is locked up and on the way back no suspicious cars/ people nearby, when you get back its all of that in reverse again ... all of that effort just for some milk, it's ridiculous. When we were in the UK we would have just walked down the road, with only one door to lock on the way out...

That trip out was the final straw for us when friends come back from overseas trips they are glad to be home, we got back and couldn't wait to leave again. My one friend always tells us how proud she is to be a South African, and how she loves telling people about our country and when she gets back she feels "at home", and I'm very glad for her, hope she never feels the need o move... but we have never felt it. 

7 hours ago, Fidjet said:

My one friend always tells us how proud she is to be a South African, and how she loves telling people about our country and when she gets back she feels "at home", and I'm very glad for her, hope she never feels the need o move... but we have never felt it. 

Something that I never noticed about South Africa until it was pointed out to me, it's a filthy place... literally.  My mate from Brisbane visited us last December and he just couldn't get over how much trash there is everywhere. 

Yesterday afternoon i realized that the back door has been left unlocked for the last week, we have no walls around our property and anyone can walk around the house and up to the back door......

I forgot to lock it last night again..... Australia is great

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/11/2017 at 8:54 AM, ChrisH said:

Something that I never noticed about South Africa until it was pointed out to me, it's a filthy place... literally.  My mate from Brisbane visited us last December and he just couldn't get over how much trash there is everywhere. 

Brisbane is spotless. In comparison Sydney and Melbourne are quite dirty. But Brisbane really is beautiful and clean. I wore flip-flops all day, everywhere and my feet didn't even go brown. In Sydney they went black. Didn't try it in Melbourne.

• Like 1

This will be great for my toddler - he refuses to wear shoes and socks even when its cold! He was born in Europe but he's a southern hemisphere kid at heart!

He does however also feel that everyone else should do the same and steals socks off kids at daycare and then scuttles away! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1