CVs

MichKen

Hi all,

Looking for an opinion from those who are more experienced in compiling a CV for entering the Aussie job market.  Should I include my positive skills assessment on my CV?  Will this hold any meaning / weight with Australian employers?

thanks, M.

We've employed people. Never seen skills assessment on a CV and honestly couldn't care about that. More interested in your qualifications and experience.

• Thanks 1

@MichKen I differ from SimpleSimon's comment... I have no idea what you do for a living, but in the event of you needing to have registration of some sort, in Australia, in the job that you do.. my advice would be, when applying for your first job ever in Australia, to show that you have the ability to be registered. For some jobs you have to do your registration, before you can work in that field, so I guess, in those cases you can leave it off... but if your new employer needs to be involved in your registration, then I am guessing they would like to know that you are compliant with Australian law, to be able to do so. Hope this makes sense.

I am a finance manager, never needed to show anything.

Hubby is in electric motor repair and an artisan, he needed to prove that he was compliant to his first two employers, thereafter, he was known in the industry and nobody bothered.

• Thanks 1

Through my career in Australia I've hired pharmacists, engineers, medical doctors, scientists and admin people.

I did this with HR departments and recruitment agents. What made people attractive to me was their experience - where they worked and what they did, then their qualifications and university. 

I hired people from Australia, Ireland, NZ, China, Britain, India etc. First question at screening was what visa do they have.

After screening and 1st interview we then asked for registration evidence. I don't believe this needs to go in the CV as a lot of employers (not HR departments) won't know what it means.

• Thanks 1

Hi both, thanks for the input.  I am in HR, so I don't need a license / registration certificate, as far as I know except if I go into training, which I don't plan to do.  Registration with the AHRI would potentially carry much more weight than my AIM skills assessment, I felt - and I haven't registered with the AHRI as yet - but the people drafting my CV included AIM and my SABPP accreditation.  I felt AIM was a bit pointless, but wondered if it may carry some weight that it was included.  They can't comment on this (saying they just draft on the information provided) so hence me turning to the forum for opinions on the matter.

I can possibly agree with both of you (she said, sitting on the fence....) if I was a plumber or electrician or teacher, it may be worth including this information, but in HR it seems like trying to flufff up the CV.

@MichKen I agree with you, not needed in your instance.

• Like 1